Consultants? Paid help to get LinuxCNC fully functional.

More
16 Oct 2019 15:45 #148001 by randypetersen
Just curious if anyone knows any reasonable priced people located anywhere in the world to help me get my setup functioning at 100%.

I remember when I was working on a simple parallel port router with mach3, I spent about 15mins wiring an aluminum plate to a wire on the parallel port and had a functioning Z plate. So many issues I am having on this machine / board / software. Has me really regretting going down this path, as I don't really have time to learn the software programming behind it to get the job done. It's great stuff and awesomely customizable so I am not downing it, I just should have went with a simpler software. Especially for unique machines it's perfect. My simple wood router doesn't require the advanced customization of LinuxCNC.

If I knew what I was doing I would probably make quick work of it. Oddly enough I am an IT person by trade, and actually have some programming experience. Guessing I am not as good as I thought I was since this is giving me so much trouble. I am not a Linux guy either, have plenty of machines using Linux and can keep them up to date and set them up. Asterisk / FreeNAS /Ubuntu servers that stuff which is pretty simple. Even compiling patches and that sort of thing, but LinuxCNC details are difficult to grasp for me.

For example trying to get that MPG working, there are 10 different HOWTOs online nothing applying to my exact LinuxCNC version and my device. So trying to follow this walk through with this file and resolving these missing dependencies is a lot of work when it works out of the box with other software.

Restarted my machine while working on it and now it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet while LinuxCNC is open, which I had resolved and working good for weeks. Still got 2 network cards connected, but something is wrong again... didn't dig into it.

Again, not frowning on LinuxCNC or the hardware at all. I got my CNC working and I love it. The guys here on the forum have been awesome and I appreciate everyone's help so much!

I still have the following things to work on:

VFD spindle issues - not recognizing up to speed (I programmed in a G4 P15) to pause to get it up to speed, but not 100%, when program terminates Spindle is disabled and electric braking is lost, so takes like 5mins to slow down.
Tool Changer
Z touch plate for material height
Tool Length sensor - purchase and install
Automatic Tool Changer - rack style
Wire and control misting solenoid
MPG

Anyone who could help me work on those issues in their spare time? For some beer/coffee money?
If this is an improper request I will delete it.. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2019 16:43 - 16 Oct 2019 16:43 #148008 by bevins
I don't think anyone here is willing to do this for beer/coffee money, but I am willing to bet if you make an effort and report your findings and issues you will get help and in no time your list of things to do will dwindle.

start by showing pics of your machine. maybe a video of the XYZ working if that's your setup.
Version of linuxcnc
output of uname -a
What kind of hardware etc....

take one of the items in your list and read up on how it works then at least attempt to make it work.
Post your findings here and I am sure you will get help.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2019 16:43 by bevins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Oct 2019 17:05 #148012 by Todd Zuercher
There are people around who would pop in to lend you a hand. But the world is a big place your location relative to them is important.

More
16 Oct 2019 17:10 #148013 by tommylight
We as a bunch do not react well to money offers, usually ignoring them all together.
You explain your experience with control software, that just means you were lucky with Mach3 as it is and was utterly disgusting to look at, it is much pickier on hardware and lost steps are a given.
On the other side of things, Linuxcnc took 10 minutes flat to work properly. Same experience with a friend who lost weeks with mach and had the machine working in an hour of me helping him with Linuxcnc through instant messaging, he was in Albania.
I am fully aware that my experience with electronics and computers helped a lot, and all of the above pertains to simple step/dir machines.
Backtracking, the issue here is not help as you got plenty of it, and i am sure you will continue to get plenty of, just give us concise info about the problems you are facing.
Was it you having problems with Nvidia card installation a while back ?

More
16 Oct 2019 17:12 #148014 by tommylight

There are people around who would pop in to lend you a hand. But the world is a big place your location relative to them is important.

It looks like he is in Bettendorf, Iowa, US. Anyone near him ?

More
16 Oct 2019 18:06 #148026 by randypetersen
Thanks Todd,
I was thinking they could just help me remotely. Maybe even connect to my machine or let me know how to proceed on the few things I need to finish.
Thanks,

More
16 Oct 2019 18:29 #148029 by randypetersen
Sorry TommyLight, I know what it's like to get offer to be paid a pittance for your hard work. Build something to help a friend and have them offer to pay 1/10 of your time instead of saying thanks for your time. That's not what I meant to do and if I upset anyone I apologize...

I was just wondering if there was someone who could take a more intimate view of what I am up against and I could donate some funds as a patreon type of thing.

Sure, I probably got lucky with it as it worked fine for us, but it did cost money and we got a screenset which also cost money. LinuxCNC being free and now that it's functional I am happy with it. Also, my new machine with Servos and ATC is much more challenging than the old machine which was stepper motors.

One of the first things I looked up was how I could donate to the community, reading several posts saying basically you can't. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Not sure on the NVIDIA card issue, might have been someone else.

Thanks TommyLight, I will try to lay out my issues more clearly to seek help.

More
16 Oct 2019 18:30 #148030 by randypetersen
Alright I can do that, I will take a video of machine show everyone what I am up against.

More
16 Oct 2019 18:32 #148032 by randypetersen
Thanks!

Clinton, Iowa actually an hour north of quad cities and 3hrs west of Chicago. IL. I am from the midwest so I can use time as unit of measurement. :)

More
16 Oct 2019 18:48 #148036 by tommylight
@Randy,
Was not meant like that, just that we do not have much time to think about money, and we all help becouse we have a passion for making stuff and helping other people in the process.
Sorry about Nvidia, must have been some other user.
And you are welcomed, always.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds