18.04 loosing the journal

More
18 Oct 2019 13:06 #148195 by 858PSJ
I'm running 18.04 on a AMD 64 Athlon and have been "loosing the journal" intermittantly since installation . (I power off frequently) I recently made a script that does sync, sync, sync, sync, sync, wait -1, shutdown now, and no longer loose journal. I guess there's a bug in the shutdown command shipped with this release? .....machine is a COMPAQ PRESARIO SR1750NX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2019 08:23 #148305 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic 18.04 loosing the journal
the jornal of what
the main History
the mdi
the VAR corrdinates
the last workpice zero point

More
19 Oct 2019 12:05 #148315 by 858PSJ
Replied by 858PSJ on topic 18.04 loosing the journal
I have no idea of what journal is lost: during a subsequent power on, the system spews out a large number of what look look like a register dump and halts without booting. Upon additional power off reboots it goes into a lengthy period of time after it prints the message "recovering journal" (hence my suspicion that it has lost whatever a journal is). The system usually "finds" it's journal and operates normally until some random event creates a need to repeat a recovery. I just use the system for emails and surfing, I am not running (near as I can tell) any application except the shutdown script on the machine when I power off, I have made my shutdown script into a screen icon and run it by mouse clicking it. I changed the script by eliminating the -1 parameter to the wait command and did observe a "loss of journal" upon subsequent reboot.

More
19 Oct 2019 12:26 #148317 by tommylight
That is a computer problem, not Linuxcnc problem.
That looks like a failing HDD or it's controller. Or maybe your shutdown script is doing something it should not. What is in your shutdown script and why do you need that? Is pressing the power button and enter to much ?
Almost all Linux desktop version have the possibility to remember everything on shutdown, so when powered on you have everything in place and running.

More
19 Oct 2019 20:32 #148362 by 858PSJ
The on/off button for this computer consists of a circled icon on the upper right hand side of the screen which came about there when I loaded the ISO image back in May of 2019. When I press that button, I intermittently get the lost journal problem. When I use my script I do not get the lost journal problem, everything works fine. sorry I didn't make that clear enough.

More
23 Oct 2019 22:59 #148648 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 18.04 loosing the journal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

Might explain where the problem is likely to be.

Perhaps the permanent storage is shutting down too soon?

More
24 Oct 2019 21:02 #148752 by 858PSJ
The more I look at my test script the less likely I think that it is doing anything truly amazing, and the more likely I feel that there is a significant problem in the shutdown process on the 18.04 release. My script continues to "work" better than the shutdown icon supplied in the release despite changes that should break it. The shutdown icon engages a 60 sec countdown timer but I have no clue what its doing in those 60 sec. My old presario does have a power off function and the power could be going off to quickly for the old optical drive in the computer to finish "journalling" when the icon is used ......

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds