MPG recommendations

More
21 Oct 2019 15:03 - 21 Oct 2019 15:07 #148472 by jonch919
MPG recommendations was created by jonch919
I'm looking to buy a MPG för My CNC. I've been searching for recommendations but haven't found much for LinuxCNC.

I'd like a model that can do much more than just jogging.
I've been looking at both the XHC WHB04B and the Vista P4-S.
The XHC is less than 1/3 of the price of the Vista though.
(The older model XHC HB04 seems to be impossible to find since it has been discontinued.)
How well do they work with LinuxCNC?
What other options are there?
Last edit: 21 Oct 2019 15:07 by jonch919.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2019 21:04 #148558 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic MPG recommendations
I have the P4-SE and I love it except for one thing. When the humidity is really low in the winter I have trouble with it occasionally disconnecting. The pain of that is that I have to shutdown LinuxCNC and bring it back up for it to reconnect.

The "E" version makes the E-Stop a physical switch contact that does not rely on the USB connection.

John

More
23 Oct 2019 05:52 #148584 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic MPG recommendations
you can add a Button that reconnects the XHC Mpg to the usb
just reload the component
you can pack the halcmd to a User mcode and start it that way also

More
23 Oct 2019 13:04 - 23 Oct 2019 13:05 #148597 by jonch919
Replied by jonch919 on topic MPG recommendations

I have the P4-SE and I love it except for one thing. When the humidity is really low in the winter I have trouble with it occasionally disconnecting. The pain of that is that I have to shutdown LinuxCNC and bring it back up for it to reconnect.

The "E" version makes the E-Stop a physical switch contact that does not rely on the USB connection.

John

Thanks for your input.
Do you feel the functionality is sufficient, and intuitive to use? Is it working seamlessly with LCNC?
Are you missing having physical knobs for axis selection and jogging speed?
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 13:05 by jonch919.

More
23 Oct 2019 17:43 #148613 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic MPG recommendations
Thanks for your input.
Do you feel the functionality is sufficient, and intuitive to use? Is it working seamlessly with LCNC?
Are you missing having physical knobs for axis selection and jogging speed?[/quote]

There are physical buttons with LEDs to indicate the current selection so no I don't miss the knobs. What I like about the buttons is that I a can go right to the axis I want rather than turning a knob from X to Y to Z to get from X to Z, etc. But, occasionally when I am zipping along I don't press the button quite hard enough and it doesn't change to the selected axis. That is my fault for not paying close enough attention to what I am doing. Along with that I have learned to make a slight jog to verify the axis that I expected is moving before jogging quickly. Particularly when the tool is close to the work piece or vise.

I find it intuitive and have had no problem with it related to LinuxCNC.

I hope this helps.
John

More
24 Oct 2019 01:35 #148665 by jonch919
Replied by jonch919 on topic MPG recommendations
Thank you, that helps a lot!

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds