Recompiling installed-from-USB (Debian based) LinuxCNC

More
30 Oct 2019 10:15 - 30 Oct 2019 10:19 #149139 by ross_dev
Hi

Apologies for what is probably a very simple question.

I would like to recompile LCNC, and I have the version installed from USB with Debian Stretch. The final recompiled version needs to be able to run real time, live machines as usual, so not a dev build (as I understand it the dev build is only for software testing?)

I tried following the documentation here linuxcnc.org/docs/2.4/html/install_compiling_emc2.html#r1_5 but it seems the USB installed build does not have a folder called emc2/src. I also tried looking for linuxcnc/src, no dice. Googling for "recompiling Linuxcnc" loops round to building from source, rather than recompiling a current installation.

I need to update the build with a mesa patch, among other things, hence the need to rebuild. I also replaced the 5axisgui file completely, and given the errors from lcnc when launching 5axis vismach, saying the file cannot be found I am assuming a rebuild is needed?

Cheers
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 10:19 by ross_dev.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 10:22 #149140 by tommylight
That is 15 year old documentation you are looking at !
Try this, it has everything and more:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...h-rip-or-build-a-deb

More
30 Oct 2019 10:39 - 30 Oct 2019 11:03 #149144 by ross_dev
Hi Tommy

Thanks for the reply. I can see the post has instructions on downloading the git and building, it has linuxcnc-dev builds and RIP builds as well as creating deb packages, and says "Each post assumes you have a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.1 installed."

This is not what I am doing however. I installed from an iso here www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/ and just want to rebuild after modifying some files. I am running in debian stretch.

I am relatively new to this side of linuxcnc so I apologise for not being able to extract the information from that post, I just could not see how it related to my situation.

Is there not just a folder somewhere in the build where I can run the configure and make commands, similar to what is suggested in the 15 year old documentation?

Edit: What is the most up to date source of documentation for LCNC? Is it all contained within the forum? If not, how can you tell which documentation is still valid? At present I am using a straight google to find the information, which obviously brings up these outdated instructions.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2019 11:03 by ross_dev.

More
30 Oct 2019 11:12 #149148 by ross_dev
Ah ok, is it necessary to redownload the entire source and rebuild the live install, inserting your modified files into the source code? Anything to be aware of when uninstalling the previous version, or can you just go right ahead and install over the top?

Cheers

More
30 Oct 2019 13:26 #149164 by tommylight
That should do it, and i am not aware of any issues if you do not un install first, at least i do not recall any since it was a while back i did that. I just installed over it.

More
30 Oct 2019 14:02 #149173 by ross_dev
OK thats great. After a bit more reading around, I think I will do the sensible thing and switch to a RIP dev build under Ubuntu whilst modifying the files, then rebuild into the machine PC when needed.

Cheers!

More
01 Nov 2019 13:42 #149359 by andypugh

Edit: What is the most up to date source of documentation for LCNC? Is it all contained within the forum? .

Go to www.linuxcnc.org and click the "documentation" link just under the logo.

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds