Homing not smooth

More
06 Nov 2019 14:03 #149715 by ytiuqibu
Homing not smooth was created by ytiuqibu
We have home and limit switches all connected to a single pin (11) and have changed the homing sequence to start at the X axis.
When we click the Home All button the search begins but the movement is not smooth and the search velocity rises and falls without any apparent reason.
Sometimes the search is terminated unexpectedly which implies that there may be interference or noise generated in the wires connected between the switches and the breakout board.
Are these two phenomena likely to be connected or separate issues?
Does the rough movement result from insufficient search velocity? When a job is run using the setup motion appears smooth during cutting. It just seems to be the search movement that is jerky.
We have Gecko 203V controllers .
If the homing on any given axis actually reaches one of the switches then the expected back-off, latching and final positioning occur (except for the Z axis which is the subject of another post).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2019 14:12 #149716 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Homing not smooth
Is it possible that the home velocity is faster than the velocity seen during a job?

Is this a stepper system, or servo?

Which version of LinuxCNC?

More
06 Nov 2019 14:29 #149717 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Homing not smooth
hi you shoudt give us some numbers
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 5.0
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 2.0
HOME_FINAL_VEL = 5.0

More
07 Nov 2019 14:49 - 07 Nov 2019 14:51 #149849 by ytiuqibu
Replied by ytiuqibu on topic Homing not smooth
Thank you both.
First, the computer is running LinuxCNC v 2.7.0 on a version of Debian Wheezy installed sometime in 2017 (before I joined the project). Our Mens Shed has no internet access and, running jobs without use of switches, there has, until now, been no apparent need to upgrade. Now, introducing less experienced shed members to the use of the CNC, there is an imperative to make the limit and home switches operational.

Second, I cannot yet answer the first question about comparisons between homing movements and job movements in velocity displayed in the Axis window. I will run a job when I visit the shed tomorrow and attempt to make the comparisons.
When searching for the home switches on both X and Y axes the displayed velocities seem to vary between about 270 and 1640.
After latching the home switches the velocity returning to the desired home position is a smooth 1640.
I notice too that continuous jogging velocity on these axes is 872.

Second, turning to the velocity settings shown in the .ini file
In the [DISPLAY] section we have:
DEFAULT_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 15.00
MIN_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 0
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 150.00

In the [TRAJ] section:
DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 15.00
MAX_VELOCITY = 150.00

Initial settings for ALL axes are:
MAX_VELOCITY = 27.3430828642
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 1.500000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.529175
No entry for HOME_FINAL_VEL

With a Home_Search_Velocity of 1.5 progress is obviously painfully slow.
As a result I increased the HOME_SEARCH_VEL for both X and Y to first 15, then 30, then 60 and finally (for X) to 120.
I assume that the MAX_VELOCITY = 27.3430828642 entry for each axis actually limits velocity to this figure despite the MAX_VELOCITY = 150.00 shown in the earlier sections.

If this assumption is correct, should I now choose HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY = 25 as a near optimum velocity?

None of the changes made to HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY seemed to make any difference to how smooth the motion was, all remained jerky.
The attached .ini and .hal files are those in use prior to the changes to HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY outlined above.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 14:51 by ytiuqibu.

More
07 Nov 2019 15:24 #149850 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Homing not smooth
I don't anticipate it making a difference, but you could add a STEPGEN_MAX_VELOCITY to each [AXIS] section, 25% higher than the axis max. You would also need to set that from the INI in the HAL file (the same format as the accel uses)

More
07 Nov 2019 16:07 #149854 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Homing not smooth
Set the base period at 100.000.
Report back.

More
07 Nov 2019 21:52 #149886 by ytiuqibu
Thanks Andy,
Will look at this after I confirm solving the direction issue.
Regards
Paul

More
07 Nov 2019 21:56 #149888 by ytiuqibu
Thanks,
The current base period is set to 36771 so I assume you are suggesting setting it to 100000 - here in Australia we use a comma rather than a period to delimit numbers exceeding 9999.00 which can sometimes be confusing when we see numbers using the European notation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Nov 2019 22:17 #149890 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Homing not smooth
Yes, and dully noted.
Thank you.

More
08 Nov 2019 03:42 #149900 by ytiuqibu
Thanks - I did make the change and received an immediate Joint error on the zero axis (which happens to be X at present). The error persisted each time I tried to initiate Home All so I reverted to the previous figure.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds