Installing new linuxcnc box

More
28 Nov 2019 22:12 #151459 by bevins
Just wondering which dist and setup people ar eusing these days. I am installing linuxmint 18.3 now.

Last time I had an issue with too big kernel when compiling preempt. So I imagine same thing will happen.
I used Debian 9 last time but it has an issue with shutting down. Known issue. I want to shy away fromt hat.

So I am just wondering what is the best fastest dist/window manager out there.

suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2019 23:49 #151462 by phillc54
What is the issue with Debian 9, I have a number of VM and bare metal installations of Debian 9 and have not noticed any shutdown issues.

More
28 Nov 2019 23:50 #151463 by Todd Zuercher
If you are going to use a Peempt-rt kernel there is no need to compile your self. There is an iso based on Debian 9 with Linuxcnc included and installed here
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

I think the developers are still working out all the bugs with trying to use Debian 10. (I have not tried it. )

More
29 Nov 2019 12:33 #151495 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Installing new linuxcnc box

What is the issue with Debian 9, I have a number of VM and bare metal installations of Debian 9 and have not noticed any shutdown issues.

When I shutdown the os it hangs with a message. Known issue, that I haven't been able to get rid of.

I had a hell of a time getting wifi working also. But I guess its part of the game.

More
29 Nov 2019 12:34 #151496 by bevins

If you are going to use a Peempt-rt kernel there is no need to compile your self. There is an iso based on Debian 9 with Linuxcnc included and installed here
www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/

I think the developers are still working out all the bugs with trying to use Debian 10. (I have not tried it. )

I have a feeling this mint 1.83 will do the same thing and I will probably install Debian 9.

More
29 Nov 2019 13:56 - 29 Nov 2019 13:58 #151503 by bevins
All done. Linux mint 1.83 and it even installed the driver for the wifi dongle......

I have a retrofit to do next weekend. 2 hours from my shop so it has to be done in a day or two.
4X8 AYYZ router. Should be a piece of cake. steppers with Scientific Pacific drives 48vdc.

The guy has two, when this one is done and he has used it he will retrofit the other one.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2019 13:58 by bevins.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds