Simple Setup: automate drilling machine with one axis

More
05 Dec 2019 10:02 #152054 by DomCa
Hi all,

I am relatively new to LinuxCNC and setup my 3-axis CNC with StepConf Wizard.
I was now asked, if it would be possible to automate a drilling machine that is used only to drill the same hole (one drill, two surfaces at differents depths) on the same type of workpiece (some 1000s each year, in batches).

From my little experience with LinuxCNC I quickly said yes, but I would have to gather more info about how to set it up.

The first thing I think about is the electronics: I would use a stepper since the part is aluminum and the required force should not be high I think loss of steps should not be a problem. As I am running may system fine via ParPort, I would use a PC with a ParPort to drive a breakoutboard or a stepper driver direclty. Would an encoder or a servo be recomendable here? It is an industrial usecase, not hobby...

The next thing is: setting up LinuxCNC, could this be done directly via StepConf? Never tried to setup a single axis machine... However, I could try with my Z-axis only (just came to me while writing this ;) )

This should be it, no? Mechanics are done already.

Thanks!
DomCa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2019 10:14 - 05 Dec 2019 10:23 #152055 by Leon82
They sell closed loop steppers.

It will work with just z as long as it's not looking for home switch input from x or y, you would still have to "home all". But you should be able to to remove them after stepconf.

It will generate an alarm if your program calls on an axis that doesn't exist so leave them out of the program
Last edit: 05 Dec 2019 10:23 by Leon82.

More
05 Dec 2019 15:05 #152071 by Todd Zuercher
If you set up the unused axis as an open loop stepper with no home switches (set all homing velocities = 0), there will be no alarms or warnings.

More
06 Dec 2019 12:34 #152150 by andypugh
I would suggest fitting an encoder to the spindle too, that will make it easy to have closed-loop speed control and to configure feed-per-rev drilling.

You might also want to make a simple UI with boxes for feed, speed, depth, rather than use G-code in the usual way. (but then for 1000 parts, perhaps G-code and 1 button for cycle start and no active UI is the way to go)

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds