Is laptop for cnc is a bad choice?

More
21 Jan 2020 13:57 #155319 by dream-builder
Guys , I recently found an older but still new laptop at my computer store that has windows 7, an IBM ThinkPad
. It has the usual dual core proc and 4 gigs of ram.
I recently heard laptops were not a good choice for running a cnc router . My intentions are to purchace a 4x4 Pro version from famaga next year . I am going to build the electronics myself, and use motion control board suited for UCCNC that uses a USB or Ethernet port .

I’m assuming the concern with using a laptop is sharing the video card with other memory etc .
I am not going to use this laptop for rendering , just for running the cnc . I prefer the laptop, as when I had my laser running , the desktop , keyboard mouse and monitor used a lot of real estate . I’d love to just have an arm connected to the side of the cnc holding a laptop instead .
Any thoughts or bad experiences using a laptop?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2020 14:26 #155323 by RotarySMP
The latency is probably horrible, for the reasons you named.
Mark

More
21 Jan 2020 15:50 #155331 by Todd Zuercher
Take a live Linuxcnc DVD or USB drive to the store and see if they will let you boot it up on it and test the latency a bit. If it can do decent Latency numbers, your good to go.

More
21 Jan 2020 20:09 #155353 by tommylight
What model of IBM?
T42 or 43 will do fine but it is old, it will work with Wheezy nicely.
X60 ( not the tablet one ) will also work after turning off some options in BIOS, it does not have a parallel port on it but it does have one on the docking station.
You can not use USB CNC controllers with Linuxcnc and you do not need one. You can use parallel port or Mesa boards.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds