fryer et18

More
22 Jan 2020 21:37 #155462 by Helion
fryer et18 was created by Helion
Hey has anyone tried linuxcnc on a Fryer et18 cnc lathe? My client has one that "someone" (not me) installed windows ME on and Fryer refuses to support with anything other than windows 95. I have reinstalled 95 on another hdd but I am not holding my breath. It seems to have an upgraded motherboard with a pentium 3 but may be stock. There is an isa pmac (motor control board?)

I'm not a cnc profesional, I am a IT profesional so please explain any industry jargon you may use. :)

thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2020 23:07 #155474 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic fryer et18
Pictures ?
What is "pmac" ?
How is the computer connected to drives ?

More
23 Jan 2020 04:04 #155500 by jj80909
Replied by jj80909 on topic fryer et18
I have a Fryer ET18 also and have been kicking around converting it to LCNC.

Mine has the Touch 2000i control based on Windows 95. I was able to "update" it to Win98 and take advantage of better USB support (to allow using thumb drives to transfer files), but the interface is still old and clunky. I think mine has a Delta-Tau motion card.

Anyway, the good news is that it uses all Yaskawa drives (X, Z and Spindle). They are the older Sigma 1 drives (torque or velocity only), but a Mesa 7i77 should work well with them.

I'm still using the lathe as is with the factory control, but hopefully I'll get to retrofitting it in the coming year. Good luck with yours!

More
24 Jan 2020 20:48 #155683 by Helion
Replied by Helion on topic fryer et18
the pmac is the Delta-Tau motion card. The Delta-Tau motion card is how the computer is connected to the drives it has a couple of 24pin com ports and a 60ish pin port.

More
27 Jan 2020 20:36 #155951 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic fryer et18
If the motors have separate drivers, as hinted above, then LinuxCNC would fit in the same place as the existing delta-tau board.

It might even be possible to set it up so that you can swap between the two controllers, which would take some of the risk out of the retrofit.
(Assuming that the machine is currently usable, and it isn't clear if it is)

More
28 Jan 2020 11:02 #155989 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic fryer et18
you shoudt test eatch acis n a simple parport testup as the Drives run on StepDir

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds