Plasma Cutting aluminum question...

More
26 Jan 2020 03:31 #155773 by BlueManRising
Need some help... Or maybe my search skills are lacking.. anyone have success cutting aluminum? I've notice a few things when I cut, voltage starts off great, but slowly depreciates to the point where the plasma just cuts off, error with voltage comes up, cut stops and then will not continue. (Just tries to restart but no success) I tried to increase the delay time for the Mesa THCAD, but never gets going unless I move the unit completely, it looks and almost feels like it's not able to maintain a arc. I'm assuming my feed rate is maybe the culprit, I did speed it up and saw a drastic increase of performance, but didn't know if anyone else has the same issue. It's about 1/8 thick aluminum plate, cutting at 45amps and 50-60 psi... Also delay THC at 2 seconds. I did keep the guard on my plasma, could be too far away from the material? I will remove it tomorrow and run more line and circle tests.. just racking my brain here..

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2020 16:53 #155818 by bbsr_5a
for the Circles you need ARC In and ARC out
Attachments:

More
26 Jan 2020 21:19 #155857 by tommylight
Since you reminded me, to all : Please red the plasma source manual !
Several times i see users here trying to cut and fine tune the plasma machines using 30 to 60 PSI, and that is wrong hence giving very bad results. All Plasma sources need 4.5 to 5.5 Bar (67 to 82 PSI i think, please check this ) and some high end/industrial plasma sources will not turn on if under 7 Bar ( 105 PSI ).
For cutting Alu, you will have to do some ( well plenty ) of test cuts as there are plenty of alu types and that will change the cut parameters a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
26 Jan 2020 22:40 - 26 Jan 2020 22:46 #155865 by Clive S

Since you reminded me, to all : Please red the plasma source manual !
Several times i see users here trying to cut and fine tune the plasma machines using 30 to 60 PSI, and that is wrong hence giving very bad results. All Plasma sources need 4.5 to 5.5 Bar (67 to 82 PSI i think, please check this ) and some high end/industrial plasma sources will not turn on if under 7 Bar ( 105 PSI ).
For cutting Alu, you will have to do some ( well plenty ) of test cuts as there are plenty of alu types and that will change the cut parameters a bit.

Yes. A big thanks to Tom for putting me right on the air pressure. photos.app.goo.gl/dNT9vWYgYdHAa22K7
This was 2.4mtr/min 80psi 40amp 3.1mm and I recon I will get it faster.

Edit: 6mm at 4.5mm/min 40A photos.app.goo.gl/S3fLSXVPvZE5fwN38 The disc is 3mm as above
Last edit: 26 Jan 2020 22:46 by Clive S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Jan 2020 23:07 - 26 Jan 2020 23:08 #155867 by BlueManRising
I realized my cup guard needed to be removed from the torch, figured it was the right hight preset but I was wrong, cutting like a champ now.

Thanks!!
Last edit: 26 Jan 2020 23:08 by BlueManRising.

More
27 Jan 2020 08:25 #155875 by bbsr_5a
can you tell others here Your DATA in USE to cut like a CHAMP
this will help people like beginners to don't waste cost intensive Material
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds