What files do I need to keep when changing computers?

More
14 Feb 2020 02:14 - 14 Feb 2020 02:15 #157332 by mooser
I have (more or less, still haven't gotten the gears working) lathe working with a 6i76 and d7i76 cards
I need to change out the computer (another story) and at the same time I was going to look at installing the 64bit version instead of the 32bit one.
I don't want to start all over again on the Linuxcnc setup so I'm hoping I can simply copy certain files (ini, hal, etc) and then drop them into the newly setup computer and be back in business again.
Is this possible or am I under-thinking this?
Thanks
M
Last edit: 14 Feb 2020 02:15 by mooser.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2020 11:13 #157345 by tommylight
Usually that is as simple as copy the config folder to the new pc, IF there are no comps there.
If there are comps, you will have to copy those too, and do halcompile on the new computer.
Still very simple, but do check while you still have the old pc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
14 Feb 2020 11:42 #157347 by mooser
Thanks, that's what I was hoping... but...
As a complete Linux and LinuxCNC newbie, comps = components like the turning macros???

Also, since I really don't have a handle on how the GUI (axis now) HAL mesa cards and the actual computer itself all work together... what exactly is / does "halcompile" doing? Or even how do I halcompile the new computer?
AndyP mentioned that back on one of my many questions when I was asking about gear changes and I really didn't dig deeper to see what was happening.

Thanks again
M

More
27 Feb 2020 00:21 #158587 by andypugh

Thanks, that's what I was hoping... but...
As a complete Linux and LinuxCNC newbie, comps = components like the turning macros???M

No. Custom HAL components that are compiled from .comp files.

The only way you would have any is if you had written some, and then you would know what they were, so we can assume you don't have any.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds