connecting and setting up a Z touch plate with 7i76e

More
25 Feb 2020 08:51 #158444 by morhaz
hi all,
i want to connect my z touch plate of this style

to where should i connect it on the 7i76e?
and how to configure it in pncconf and linuxcnc?

thanks a lot!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 11:34 #158451 by tommylight
You need to add a resistor from + vfield to the input, one wire from sensor to that same input, the other wire to GND.
You can also do it without a resistor but that can cause some smoking issues! :)
A 10KOhm resistor should work, or thereabouts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: morhaz

More
25 Feb 2020 12:08 #158452 by morhaz
thanks for the the resistor tip but to where i connect it?
and how to set it up?
i have linuxcnc only for a week and dont like electronics smoke

More
25 Feb 2020 17:49 #158475 by JohnnyCNC

More
25 Feb 2020 17:56 #158476 by Todd Zuercher
The resistor goes between a wire that goes to the input terminal and the +vfield on the 7i76e. This is called a pull up resistor and causes the input to read "true".

You also connect the wire that goes to the touch pad to the same input terminal.

The wire with the clip that you clip onto your tool goes to ground.

Then when the grounded tool tool touches the touch pad, it will create a circuit that will pull the voltage applied through the pull up resistor low so the input will now read "false". (and no magic smoke will be released.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
25 Feb 2020 17:57 #158477 by JohnnyCNC
Other info you might want.

I have a button on my homemade touch-plate and this is how I made the connections in the hal file to debounce the signal when the bit touches the plate and recognizes the button press to start the probing process.

This is how I have the debounce setup on my probe. My touch-plate has a spring loaded contact surface and a button to start the probe process. The code below is placed in a file named 100.ng and the file is placed in the folder where you G-Code files are.

#limits debounce to stop false triggers
loadrt debounce cfg=2,1 #change to the number you want
setp debounce.0.delay 100 #this sets the delay 100 iterations of the servo-thread
addf debounce.0 servo-thread

net deb-probe-in debounce.0.0.in <= hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.input-05-not  Touch plate contact surface.
net probe-in debounce.0.0.out
net probe-in => motion.probe-input
net run-touch-btn <= hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.0.input-06 => halui.mdi-command-04  Physical probe start button.

This is the code that is run when I press the button on my touch-plate. I found this on the web but I don't remember where. Probably on this forum. Place this code in a file name 100.ng and place the file in the folder where your G-Code file are.

<pre>
o100 sub
G20
( Set current Z position to 0 so that we will always be moving down )
G10 L20 P0 Z0
( Probe to Z-.5 at F2 [Uses machine units, I work in inch, this is meant to be slow!] )
G38.2 Z-.25 f2
( Set Z0 at point where probe triggers with offset of +1.0095 [this is the thickness of my touch plate. You must adjust this for your plate / setup] )
(G10 L20 = Set Coordinate System // P - coordinate system 0-9 0 = Not active)
G10 L20 P1 Z1.0095
( Rapid up to Z.5 above the material )
(G10 L20 P1)
(Use machine coordinates)
G90
G53 G0
(Incremental mode)
G91
(Rapid Z up 1 inches)
G0 Z1
o100 endsub
</pre>

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds