Converting RamillXLT mill

More
26 Feb 2020 14:51 - 26 Feb 2020 14:54 #158546 by Eggman
Picked up a RamillXLT cnc mill last summer. Over this winter, the memory board failed and will not retain any settings. I ordered a 7i77D and a 7i92M to facilitate a swap from the old, outdated anilam system to a LinuxCNC based system. Have been reading a lot on this board on the different swaps. I'm planning on keeping the servo motors and the cards.

One question I do have, is where does the 10 vdc power come from. All I've seen is 24 and 5 volt supplies.

Thanks.

Eggman.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 14:54 by Eggman. Reason: Added pic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2020 15:14 #158548 by tommylight

One question I do have, is where does the 10 vdc power come from. All I've seen is 24 and 5 volt supplies.

If you mean the analogue output from 7i77, then Mesa has it's own voltage converters as that output needs to be from -10V to +10V.

More
26 Feb 2020 15:23 #158549 by Eggman
Replied by Eggman on topic Converting RamillXLT mill
Ok, that makes sense. I guess I was looking for a more complicated solution. Going to have to remember to keep it as simple as I can, though knowing it'll probably get tougher as I go.

More
26 Feb 2020 15:31 #158551 by tommylight
For a day or two ( or a week :) ) it will look to complicated, head will hurt, to many things creating to many new questions, etc etc. After a while the brain gives up, and then that magic moment comes when you realize the shear possibilities of Linuxcnc. From then on, it's more reading, more options to consider, and slowly it becomes clear how easy it is to put things together.
It is a process, for sure.

More
30 Jan 2023 13:01 - 30 Jan 2023 20:51 #263231 by Eggman
Yep, a bit slow at getting this done.  Been working out of town here and there, so the mill wasn't a top priority.  Had the contactor wired so I could still use it for rough milling...no increment marks on the handles.

Update:  I have the 7i77 and the 7i92M cards from Mesa.  Since the 7i92M is an ethernet card, I joined the two cards together without the printer cord between them.  Will be transferring the mounting pattern to the panel to mount them.  Removed the un-necessary items from the controller cabinet along with the extra wires going from the computer cabinet to the controller cabinet.  Removed the Anilam monitor and wires from it's head banging perch.

Now for the questions:    

1:  Since removing the relay board, PCB801, do I still need to include 3 or 4 relays for the servos in the upgrade?    

2:  With the removal or the PCB833 I'll need to connect some of the wires from it to the 7i77?  I'm looking at the P5, P7, P8, and P9       connectors to the correct servo terminal blocks on the 7i77?    

3:  Where is a good place to get the bleed resistor for the large blue cap?  Seems I broke an end wire from it. 

4:  Is the Auto/Manual switch still utilized?

Thanks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jan 2023 20:51 by Eggman. Reason: Presentation

More
01 Feb 2023 13:32 #263439 by Eggman
Questions:

5. PCB801 relay board, connector P2 has a green wire goes to ground and a blue wire that goes to terminal 6 on the drive boards. Would this be the wire that needs to be grounded to enable the servos to work?

6. Are all of the cable shields from the servos to be connected to grounds on the panel?

7. When using the 7i92 ethernet board, will the board get it's power from the ethernet cable? Or do I need to get 5v from somewhere else?

Thanks.

More
14 Feb 2023 12:47 #264506 by Eggman
Anyone?

More
15 Feb 2023 01:15 #264543 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Converting RamillXLT mill
5 Dont know, Would need drive specs to determine

6. Typically servo signal shields would be grounded at one end only
so if they are connected at the drives, the should be open at the panel
(and vice-versa)

7. The 7I92 needs a 5V supply (about 200 ma)

More
20 Feb 2023 12:50 #264862 by Eggman
Thanks for the info.

Still working on Questions 1-4.

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds