Linuxcnc beginner...first install...ethernet card not detected

More
02 Mar 2020 21:00 #159028 by Nicholson
Hi All,

I'm installing from the Live/Install CD with a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H motherboard. This is a motherboard that I had sitting around and I had hoped it would work for this.

On board is a Realtek RTL8110 Gigabit Ethernet card, which is not detected, and there are no choices in the list that work, as far as I can tell.

I attempted to find a driver online, but cannot seem to get the install software to find the USB drive. It hangs on detecting hardware so I can find no means of loading the driver I found.

I have purchased a Mesa 7I76E STEP/IO card to work with this system, so I do need an Ethernet card.

I'm not opposed to buying a new motherboard, if that's the easiest solution. My ultimate desire is to build a 5 axis foam cutting router.

Can anyone suggest a direction for me to head here?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
02 Mar 2020 21:14 #159034 by Nicholson
Will do, thank you BeagleBrainz.

More
02 Mar 2020 23:44 #159048 by BeagleBrainz
No probs mate, if you have any issues at all post them to this thread and we will get you going.

It seems weird that neither the USB nor Ethernet controller is detected. That board is a old 'un circa 2007, wheezy or stretch should have picked up those devices. Have you checked the BIOS to make sure that they are not disabled. Otherwise the MB maybe a little crook.

More
06 Mar 2020 10:12 #159310 by jay1st
I dont knowif this will help, but 90% of my troubles were from the BIOS settings
Have a look to see of if USB is enabled and in LEGACY mode, also for the onboard LAN controller

More
06 Mar 2020 10:19 #159312 by bbsr_5a
its not clear to me if you have installed the LINUX to the Hard drive or you are on the Live DVD
as the install is more likely to grab hardware as a Livedvd system

More
06 Mar 2020 11:33 #159316 by BeagleBrainz
I know that is not the case with Mint, unless you really really need non-free drivers/firmware, which you have to explicitly install. The modules in /lib/modules/yourinstalledkernelversion/ are the same on the Live Session as they are HDD installation.

The Debian ISOs can be a bit troublesome with drivers, but the non-free versions are pretty good.
But the in the OPs case the ethernet chip has had Linux support for a while now, that particular board isn't on the "troublesome list" and the USB....well support has been there for a while now.

More
06 Mar 2020 11:51 #159321 by tommylight
Did you check the BIOS if the network card is enabled ?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds