LinuxCNC vs GRBL

More
03 Mar 2020 15:49 #159083 by jaguar36
LinuxCNC vs GRBL was created by jaguar36
I've built a CNC router that I've been using for the last year or so and have been fairly happy with. Its currently running off a GRBL with Bcnc which seems to work well. I'm contemplating doing a pretty substantial upgrade (new frame/spindle) on it, and am kicking around the idea of switching to a Mesa ethernet card and LinuxCNC.

I'm trying to understand what the benefits of LinuxCNC would be, and am surprised that there isn't more information comparing the two. LinuxCNC obviously has alot more functionality, but for a simple 3-axis stepper based router I'm not sure I need any of it.

Are there any compelling reasons to switch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2020 18:00 #159091 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL
Backlash compensation.

More
03 Mar 2020 18:55 #159097 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL
The list would be to long.
some of it:
Rigid tapping
Threading
Closed loop servo control
Extremely versatile
Able to be modified to almost whatever you can think of, or might need, with some work of course

If you intend to add a toolchanger or 4th or 5th axis later, you will be all set, again with some work and reading.

More
03 Mar 2020 19:09 #159098 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL
Threading and rigid tapping aren't too important for a router, but here are a few things that separate a cheap router from very nice machine.

Tool compensation (not just length but diameter as well)
Tool table
Multiple work coordinate systems
Automatic tool changer
Automatic tool length measurement
Probing
Closed loop feedback
Absolute encoders (never need to home)

More
03 Mar 2020 20:08 #159100 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL
Plus the ability to do anything you want because the Architecture allows you to easily write a component and install it in hal where it is treated as if its part of the core code.

Plus having enormously more power in the PC architecture.

Granted you can modify the Grbl Arduino Source but if you approach it from looking at what Grbl can't do like I did when choosing a platform, you would never use it in the first place.. I didn't anyway despite being an Arduino fan. Maybe for a small 3D printer....

More
03 Mar 2020 21:00 #159109 by BeagleBrainz
Replied by BeagleBrainz on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL
Unless you have the skills of The Woz there’s not a great deal that can be added to grbl.

The downside of Linuxcnc is that it’s on the big scary Linux platform that is so hard to learn and only neck beards who live in their mums basement, because upstairs is for the cats, and live on sugar, salt, oil and spuds.
Na Linuxcnc is flexible, but you have to spend time learning.

More
03 Mar 2020 21:42 #159115 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC vs GRBL

Na Linuxcnc is flexible, but you have to spend time learning.

I can not recal anything more usefull in my life that i learned and used every day, and i learned a lot, i still do, but now :