LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9

More
14 Mar 2020 22:38 #160221 by mooser
LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9 was created by mooser
So not one to leave well enough alone I've been reading some of the different forum sections and came across several that have to do with the different GUI, QTvcp, QtPyvcp.
Digging around in there I came across the posts on QtPyvcp and a few other posts that keep referencing LinuxCNC 2.8 and how QtPyvcp would one run under 2.8.

Anyway, I did find an outside page that goes through the steps to upgrade from 2.7 to 2.8 but here on the forum and the LinuxCNC.org page there is little (or no?) talk about of 2.8 and 2.7 seems to be rolling along with recent updates but at the same time 2.8 seems to be a requirement for some of the other add-ons

So for someone who hasn't been around very long, what's up? Is 2.8 something to ignore or something to look into?

Just curious I guess
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 23:05 #160230 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9
2.8 is the current official_but_not_yet_official release, so no major changes except bug fixes, while the 2.9 is in development for the foreseeable future and has new features added and tested.
Since you plan on using some of the new GUI's, i would suggest 2.9.

More
14 Mar 2020 23:18 #160232 by mooser
Replied by mooser on topic LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9
2.9!!! I've barely got 2.7 working LOL
I've got a stand alone PC here is a 64bit linux install, maybe I should up it from 2.7 to 2.9 and see what differences there are and how different the ini and HAL files would have to be changed on the live machine. At least right now I remember some of what everyone has helped me with, in 6 months it would be like starting all over again :)
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Mar 2020 08:00 #160262 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9
2.7 is released and pretty stable other the the last upgrade we degraded some Mesa configs.

2.8 is in stabilization phase and has been for some time.
PlasmaC and Qtvcp are still being updated on that branch.

Right now 2.8 and 2.9 (master) are very close to the same but it won't stay that way forever.

I'm not sure about Qtpyvcp it's a separate project. I think it requires newer libraries of Qt then pyqt but you should ask them.

Chris

More
19 Mar 2020 22:27 #160780 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9

Right now 2.8 and 2.9 (master) are very close to the same but it won't stay that way forever.

Master has more G-codes than 2.8. (G71 and G72)

More
19 Mar 2020 23:06 #160793 by mooser
Replied by mooser on topic LinuxCNC 2.8... 2.9
Roughing cycles would be nice, since I completely screwed my test machine trying to install 2.8 and have to start over I might as well try 2.9 next this time.
:)

We've been sent home for at least 2 weeks so I've got some spare time on my hands....
M

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds