5i25/G540 on CNC router queries

More
14 Mar 2020 22:42 #160224 by stutaylo
Hey there,

I have a basic CNC router - Shapeoko 3 XXL
X-Axis is single belt driven Nema23
Y-Axis is dual belt driven Nema23s
Z-Axis is Nema23 driven 1605 ballscrew drive

I upgraded the controller from the GRBL board to a Gecko G540 and Mesa 5i25. I found a g540/5i25 Hal & Ini file on the forums here which I managed to get working, I've been using it for a year or two.

There are some changes I'd like to make that I'm having some trouble with. I'd like to increase the max feedrate, but when I did that in the ini file I ended up getting a 'joint 0' or 'joint 1' error and the machine locking up. I feel its an issue with the base/servo periods and stepping, but I don't understand enough about that to work out the problem.

I'd like to add a touchplate, I've seen varied pages on how to implement it, but they are all a bit more complex and based around renishaw-style probes and all I really want is a basic plate that i can sit on my workpiece, push a button and set zero. can anyone suggest a good tutorial for something like this?

finally I have a HB04 wireless pendant, I have seen a lot of people using this style but can't find any info on how to set it up - does anyone know of a tutorial or guidance on getting this to work?

Much appreciated, hal and ini attached

File Attachment:

File Name: So3_2020-03-14.ini
File Size:3 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: So3_2020-03-14.hal
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 22:59 #160226 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/G540 on CNC router queries
at the minimum,
SERVO_PERIOD = 50000
should be
SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000

More
14 Mar 2020 22:59 #160227 by tommylight
www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03fuoqA...1yD_MQ4dUDCAU&uact=5

When you raise the max_velocity in the ini file you have to also raise the stepgen_max_velocity to at least 25% more than max_velocity.

Warning : Servo period MUST be 1000000, almost always. You have it set at 50000 !!!
Also the Ferror and min_ferror are messed up in your ini file. Leave that at default:
FERROR = 0.05
MIN_FERROR = 0.01
For inch, or
FERROR = 10.0
MIN_FERROR = 1.0
for mm

More
15 Mar 2020 07:55 #160261 by stutaylo
Thank you for your input, I'll change the mentioned values and test again.

Thank you for pointing out the very obvious mpg page I should have found in a search.. My apologies.

I am slowly learning the system, I have confirmed my probe-in pin is connected to my touch plate, next up is how to get a button in there to probe z

Thank you all

More
17 Mar 2020 00:33 - 17 Mar 2020 02:03 #160495 by stutaylo
*edit* using 2.7.14

OK, the max velocity has been fix - the servo period being so low was the culprit

Next up is the hb04.

Following directions here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Using_...Wireless_MPG_Pendant
I started out by running the xhc-hb04-layout2.cfg and all buttons and MPG wheel showed up correctly when pressed - a good start

Then I put xhc-hb04.hal (referencing xhc-hb04-layout 2.ini) into my config folder, as well as the layout 2 ini.

Now what i've got is an error on line 17 of xhc-hb04.hal saying 'halui.axis.0.pos-feedback' does not exist. I have tried commenting that line out but it continues to give errors, running through all the pins referenced in the xhc-hb04 halfile

I've attached my entire config folder for your info. note 0100.ngc(probing) isn't included as its in the nc_files folder

File Attachment:

File Name: So3.tar.gz
File Size:15 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Mar 2020 02:03 by stutaylo.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds