Cincinnati Milacron Arrow 750 Retrofit

More
22 Apr 2020 12:26 #165091 by stegrg
I quickly reviewed the 8i20 manual and it states that motor supply voltage can be between 35 and 400VDC. Does that mean the 8i20 can accept any voltage within that range and still produce up to 400V 2200W 3 phase power depending on available DC current?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 12:48 #165095 by tommylight
Might want to wait for PCW to reply to this, but i do not think so. It will produce up to nearly the input voltage on the motor outputs.
I.E. powering it with 100V will give 90 to 95V on the outputs depending on the output stage ( if MosFets are used in the output stage it will be very near the max, IGBT's and Bipollar transistors will have a bit more loses, so lower output voltage ).
The thing with servo motors is that they are made to work with less voltage than the drive voltage, so the drive has to be set up properly to keep from pushing them to far. That has to do with the inductance and the speed the coils in the motor can be charged, the current running through them, load, etc. Most of the time the motors do not have a rated voltage on them, just the KV value, or how many rotations it will do for every volt put through them, and the torque produced depending on the current, and the max RPM.

To put it simply, you can drive a 100V motor with a 200V drive if it is set up properly. You can also drive a 200V motor with a 100V drive, but it will not be able to reach the torque and speed it was designed for.
Did i complicate it to much ?

More
22 Apr 2020 13:43 - 22 Apr 2020 13:44 #165102 by stegrg
I'm lucky enough to have the complete manuals for the servos on this machine. The motor I have is the 1FT6064-6AF71 on the Z axis. What you are describing is shown on the a, b, and c curves in the attached diagram below with regards to speed/torque and voltages.

If I'm understanding this information correctly, if the 8i20 is capable of supplying 400Vrms in 3 phase, then I should be able to produce a maximum speed-torque curve between curves b and c on the chart. I suppose if I'm using the maximum output of the 8i20 card, I will likely need to provide it with a full 400VDC voltage supply, if input and output voltages are closely related.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Apr 2020 13:44 by stegrg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Apr 2020 14:00 #165103 by tommylight
Yes and yes, although i would not go that high, i would try to keep it between 200 and 300V as that should have still enough torque and speed for a Z axis.
You can have a look at ebay for VFD power supplies, i've seen a lot of them a while back at reasonable prices. It looks like a VFD but it only has rectifying and protections inside.
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksi...dkw=VFD+power+supply

More
22 Apr 2020 17:49 #165141 by stegrg
My plan is to retrofit the x, y and z axis servos with the 8i20 card. I think the x and y axis servos are the same as the z axis but I'm not entirely sure until I remove them from the machine.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for the VFD power supplies you mentioned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Apr 2020 20:07 #165153 by tommylight

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye out for the VFD power supplies you mentioned.

Building a 6KW power supply is not easy or cheap, so finding used ones is a much better option. Some guy here had several of them, mostly 3X380V inputs, but i could not buy them as he was insisting they are the actual drives and wanted 750 Euro a piece for used ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW

More
27 May 2020 12:46 #169128 by stegrg
Does the power supply need to be able to provide +400VDC relative to ground or does it need to able to provide +/-400VDC relative to ground for an 8i20 card?

More
15 Mar 2021 21:14 #202414 by tommylight
Unfortunately RickAlbert left us sudenly ! :)
Spam is futile! :)

More
13 Apr 2021 11:20 #205771 by stegrg
I've been working on this Cincinnati Arrow 750 retrofit for a little while now. I've managed to put together a working circuit to interpolate the absolute encoder on the Siemens Servo using the iC-NQC interpolator from iC-Haus. Right now I'm able to read the absolute angle of the servo in Hal Configurations with a resolution of 16384 points per revolution.

The next step is aligning the encoder zero point with the motor zero point. I plan on zeroing the encoder relative to the motor through a comp file I'm working on rather than physically aligning the two. I've connected a (+ve) power supply lead to the U lead and the (-ve) lead to the V and W lead of the servo motor and applied the rated stall current of 6.1A. Since it's a 6 pole motor, it rotates to 1 of 3 motor zero points.

The problem I'm having is that the motor doesn't consistently return to the same zero point. It seems the drag on the bearings affects the zero point repeatability by fractions of a degree. (The maximum current that can be applied to the motor is 33A at a maximum permissible speed of 9100rpm according to specs.) Should I just try to average the zero points at 6.1A stall current or should I further increase the amperage to further force the motor to zero? How critical is the motor zero accuracy? (I don't want to burn out the windings)

More
13 Apr 2021 12:31 - 13 Apr 2021 12:32 #205782 by andypugh

The next step is aligning the encoder zero point with the motor zero point

This is only necessary if you are commutating based on the encoder. This will additionally only be necessary with a brushless permanent magnet motor.

If all the above is true, then the "bldc" HAL component exists to do the alignment for you. It can align in a number of ways with programmable offsets between the encoder index and the motor zero.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 12:32 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds