Machine retrofit considerations -- servo compatibility?

More
20 Apr 2020 05:16 - 20 Apr 2020 07:15 #164746 by caretech
Hello LinuxCNC community! New user, first post here -- but I've been lurking around here for a while.

First, a bit of background: I have just a wee bit of experience with LCNC; a relative bought an old Bridgeport mill that someone had done a Mach3 job on (not working) and after struggling with it a bit and becoming frustrated with Windows and Mach, I switched the system to LinuxCNC. It was definitely a beginner's project, as I didn't have to make any driver board choices and such -- just used the existing hardware. But, seeing the axes move was rewarding just the same. :)

I have my eye on a couple machines that are heading for auction soon, and if the bidding closes low enough I'm considering them for retrofits. But in my limited understanding and experience, I am not sure whether retrofitting to LCNC would require new servos, encoders, etc, or if I might be able to use what's already there. Here's what I know about the two machines, and maybe someone here with more experience can tell me whether they think it's worth it for me to consider them...

1. Vertical machining center: Shibaura VMC-45, Tosnuc controls, 20 ATC

2. Slant-bed lathe: Okuma ACT-4, 12 turret ATC, Fanuc 3T control, S/N 01136

As someone who's done plenty of computer tech for hire, I realize the lack detail might be frustrating, and for that I apologize. But there seem to be some good heads in this community and maybe someone around here is familiar with these.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2020 07:15 by caretech. Reason: first post sounded like I was asking someone to drive out and give me a hand. Edited for clarity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2020 07:06 #164791 by bbsr_5a
welcome here
i am in Germany so i think to far away to drive 1,5hr to you SMILE
there are users all over the world that may like to help you

the combination you got is quite nice to retrofit as the VM series is a +-10V servo system
the only hint and only a hint is the Encoders the machine uses may not fitr direct to a 7i77 mesa system
but lots of people facing this issue and did overcome it
Please make a image of the cabinett the servos if you can do it
IF the machine is Mechanical in good shape it is shure to invest the time and some lowcost money to fit it
The following user(s) said Thank You: caretech

More
20 Apr 2020 10:25 #164813 by tommylight
In most cases the motors and drives can be used if they are in good working condition, there are Mesa boards that can control almost anything on them.
Changing the motors and drives, in case the originals do not work, is a bit more work, both mechanically and tuning/programming.
As a rule, i spend at least two days just following existing wiring and finding out how things are connected/related/functioning etc as usually i have no manuals. If at all possible, find the manuals, they do save a lot of time.
Reading about proper wiring techniques also will save you quite some time.

Time to create page: 0.757 seconds