Komo Innova mach1 retrofit

More
25 Jul 2020 20:57 #175783 by SinCityCNC
Hello folks, Been sniffing around these boards and i havent found exactly what i need but if there is some thread i missed accept my apologies for the duplicate ask..

Heres what i'm dealing with; I've been asked to get an older Komo innova mach 1 3 axis fixed bridge router moving again. The owner purchased it at auction with everything still mostly intact save for the control console. Knowing what i do of the capabilities of LCNC I feel that its a good candidate for becoming the front end of the system, but my knowledge is mostly in the mechanical department, the machine currently has all of the original Fanuc modules installed and the servo's are fanuc redcap style ac servos. Now, please dont rip my head off here, but am I correct in my thinking that a null modem RS232 will allow me to pass step pulses to the Fanuc I/O to gain control? I know that LCNC will need to be configured to interpret the reference feedback from the system if i am to achieve real time bi lateral communication and my readings suggest that BLDC module will be able to do those translations. I'm just hoping to gain some insight as to where i can find the most relevant case study that can bolster my knowledge and provide me a good jump off point to begin the config.

Thanks in advacne and I hope i dont sound as ridiciulous as i feel! haha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 21:12 #175786 by tommylight
Most probably can be done, but as the motors are Fanuc, someone else might be better at answering that, granted you provide more info and/or pictures/videos.
There are plenty of retrofits done to many Fanuc machines ( referring here to machines that use Fanuc for control and/or use motors/drives made by them. Some motors do need adapters for the encoder side of things and there are some mentioned here made by Pico Systems or Mesa.
Some clarifications:
LinuxCNC does not use RS232 (null modem or any other type) for control of anything but some non real time stuff, namely spindle and plasma source control, both with an RS485 adapter.
BLDC means Brushless Direct Current, referring to the control and type of servo motors/drives, LinuxCNC also has the BLDC component used to control such drives and motors, hence i am at a loss about what translations and communications you are referring to.

More
28 Jul 2020 12:46 #176238 by Todd Zuercher
We have 3 of these style Komos (but a bit newer than the Inovas), Very good machines.

But knowing what little I do about Fanuc drives, I'd probably discourage trying to retrofit it. The control is actually in the cabinet on the back of the bridge, the stuff in the console is little more than a PC front end. (At least on the machines we have) The machine your looking at probably has an old 0i control (or maybe a 21i). Used parts for the consoles usually aren't that hard to find off ebay.

The Fanuc drives are just basic amps, all of the smarts are built into the control and they probably interface with the control using very fast serial optical connections, and I don't think Linuxcnc can service a rs232 connection fast enough to run the amps adequately for one servo let alone 3.

To get the level and quality of control that those machines originally had you will probably need different servo drives, and that will still leave Linuxcnc with it's basic no jerk motion planner. And these Komo routers are high enough performance that jerk planning will probably be required to try to match the old Fanuc's performance capabilities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds