Step direction or +-10v for Chinese servos?

More
01 Aug 2020 09:05 #176765 by SPH
Hey folks, been away, back again.
I've had my biesse project on hold for a while, getting back to it soon. I had one of those aha moments the other night. I realised I'd ordered my 5i25 and 7i77 way back when I was planning on using the yaskawa sgdb drives that came with the biesse, before I realised they didn't have an appropriate interface.
Now I've got three Chinese servo drives. I've started setting them up and have basic function but haven't got as far as tuning them. They throw following errors almost immediately. That's fine, I just haven't got back to working on it.

Thing is, it occurred to me that maybe analog control is a waste of time anyway? I mean, the drives have step direction, should I just use that and save the headache? I'd need some new hardware likely but... Anyone got any thoughts one way or the other? Bevins? Bueler?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2020 12:27 #176772 by bevins

Hey folks, been away, back again.
I've had my biesse project on hold for a while, getting back to it soon. I had one of those aha moments the other night. I realised I'd ordered my 5i25 and 7i77 way back when I was planning on using the yaskawa sgdb drives that came with the biesse, before I realised they didn't have an appropriate interface.
Now I've got three Chinese servo drives. I've started setting them up and have basic function but haven't got as far as tuning them. They throw following errors almost immediately. That's fine, I just haven't got back to working on it.

Thing is, it occurred to me that maybe analog control is a waste of time anyway? I mean, the drives have step direction, should I just use that and save the headache? I'd need some new hardware likely but... Anyone got any thoughts one way or the other? Bevins? Bueler?

Those drives and motors are a biatch to setup. not impossible cause you have to change some settings in the drives. The servo tuning is not bad on them.

You want to save headaches then use step and direction interface but be warned the drives need to be tuned cause they don't come tuned. they will work out of the box with default settings usually, but still need tuning.

just my 2 cents. myself, I will always go +-10v when possible with mesa 7i77 cause life is just more easy that way.

More
01 Aug 2020 21:15 #176812 by SPH
In that case I'll stick with the 7i77 for now. Do you still have that list of drive parameters that need changing?

More
19 Sep 2020 20:14 #182778 by bevins

In that case I'll stick with the 7i77 for now. Do you still have that list of drive parameters that need changing?

I am stuck now. I cannot find my spreadsheet on which parameters that need changing. So I tried step/dir and the drives are so far out of tune they just violently oscilate. May try to go back to +-10v velocity control.

Did you get yours setup?

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds