Can't get my spindle to turn on

More
05 Aug 2020 05:49 #177346 by devinw
So I already have this machine running with Mach4 and just for fun I installed linuxcnc to play with on a 2nd HDD. Anyway, the setup went very smoothly and I was up and homing and jogging all the axis in no time. The one place I'm stuck is getting the spindle to work. I'm using a Gecko G540 and know for a fact that the Gecko output I'm using is pin17 on the PP. It works in Mach4 so I know that is ok. In stepconf under outouts I set SPINDLE ON to pin 17 but clicking the spindle on off button in linuxcnc doesn't work. Even if the speed PWM was not working I should hear a "click" from my on/off relay and I do not so it looks like linuxcnc is just straight up not flipping the pin17 output high/low state when clicking spindle on.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2020 06:50 #177352 by Mike_Eitel
Is your speed higher than 0

More
05 Aug 2020 07:08 #177355 by anfänger
IS Spindel enable connected correctly in HAL.
And what is saying Hal Show

More
05 Aug 2020 09:15 #177365 by tommylight
Try this in MDI mode
M3 S1000
Can you upload your hal and ini files so we can have a look ?

More
05 Aug 2020 17:16 #177408 by devinw

IS Spindel enable connected correctly in HAL.
And what is saying Hal Show

Sorry to be a total noob, but how do I do this?

As for the speed question, I tried other speeds, but I should at a minimum hear the click of my spindle on relay inside my control box even if the speed is set to 0 (verified with mach4), so I know that linuxcnc is not switching the output.

More
05 Aug 2020 17:22 - 05 Aug 2020 17:22 #177409 by Mike_Eitel
Nop s0 is stoping the enable to my best knowledge.
But copy the .hal and the .ini file so we can see and help better.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2020 17:22 by Mike_Eitel. Reason: Typo

More
05 Aug 2020 20:46 #177420 by andypugh

[As for the speed question, I tried other speeds, but I should at a minimum hear the click of my spindle on relay inside my control box even if the speed is set to 0 (verified with mach4), so I know that linuxcnc is not switching the output.

No. For no other reason than "it's always been like that" LinuxCNC doesn't turn on the spindle unless the speed is set greater than zero.
This is _probably_ so that the spindle drive always sees at least the minimum speed.

More
05 Aug 2020 22:19 #177428 by devinw

[As for the speed question, I tried other speeds, but I should at a minimum hear the click of my spindle on relay inside my control box even if the speed is set to 0 (verified with mach4), so I know that linuxcnc is not switching the output.

No. For no other reason than "it's always been like that" LinuxCNC doesn't turn on the spindle unless the speed is set greater than zero.
This is _probably_ so that the spindle drive always sees at least the minimum speed.

OK, good to know! I did just try the M3 S1000 (and other speeds) as recommended and still no dice.

I have attached my config files. Thanks everyone for taking a look at this!
Attachments:

More
05 Aug 2020 23:01 #177433 by tommylight
In the hal file the scaling is to high, is there any reason for that ?
In the ini file, everything related to spindle is absent/missing !!!

More
05 Aug 2020 23:09 #177434 by devinw

In the hal file the scaling is to high, is there any reason for that ?
In the ini file, everything related to spindle is absent/missing !!!

The steppers are 200 counts/rev and the Gecko microsteps 1000x. It works out. Everything moves fine and the right ratio.

As for the spindle stuff missing, I went through the make new profile with stepconfig. I haven't even TOUCHED the actual .ini file (except to load it onto this forum). Any clue why all that would be missing?

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds