Transitioning CNC Plasma from Win to Linux

More
24 Aug 2020 16:24 #179253 by majamin
Hi all:

I work at a high school that has a plasma CNC machine which runs on Win XP. The mill itself is about ~8 years old, but still functions (barely, because of the software). I am not the shop teacher; just the computer sciences teacher. However, we've been chatting about how to transition the mill to something more sustainable. The original company who sold us the mill has been quite mute on helping us out. They'd probably just want to sell us something new and shiny, of course. They've stated that they can't service it. So, I've been researching on what it would take to transition everything over to LinuxCNC, which I could do, from a software perspective, but I don't know enough about CNC machining to understand what we're in for (calibration, setup, hardware compatibility, etc.). Basically, I'm reaching out to you guys to help point me to resources, help from you, or any advice on how to transition everything over. Best,

M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2020 17:42 #179260 by tommylight
Start by taking a lot of pictures of the machine, control box wiring, etc, that would help us a lot in helping you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
24 Aug 2020 21:35 #179280 by majamin
Thank you @tommylight, we won't have access to the school until August 29 the earliest. I will take lots of pictures and post here next week. Best,

M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds