No Pulses from Linuxcnc

More
21 Sep 2020 21:04 #183182 by ramaral
I'm retrofitting a Sabre 408 cnc router with MachDrives and Linuxcnc software. I have the drives working and tuned to the machine's axes. I've also run Stepconf and configured just the X axis for now. I can use the "Test this axis" button to move the X axis easily.

Now, I'd like to run Linuxcnc Without homing any axis - so I can send absolute moves to the X axis and verify positioning accuracy. I only want to move the axis in one direction for now to verify that both the MachDrives and Linuxcnc are configured correctly for X axis positioning.

Running "Test this axis" runs the axis in both directions which I don't want now (since this introduces backlash errors) - this is why I need Linuxcnc to run the axis a known distance in one direction only.

I haven't been able to get Linuxcnc to generate any pulses after starting it and toggling the "E-stop button" (in software - upper left corner) and toggling the "Machine Power" (in software - upper left corner). I also have a Tektronix scope on the "step" line for the X axis - no pulses. If I run the "Test this axis", the axis moves and I get pulses. I've googled for an answer - but no luck. Can someone help me, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2020 21:21 #183186 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic No Pulses from Linuxcnc
I think home all is a requirement for a gantry machine before any move is allowed.

I would set your joints up in the ini file for immediate homing
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/config/ini-ho...ml#_immediate_homing

Homing the machine is not going to alter positional accuracy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ramaral

More
21 Sep 2020 21:33 #183187 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic No Pulses from Linuxcnc
Use the "calibration" feature from the "machine" menu in Axis GUI, there should be "scale" entry there to tune the distance.
You can also set the machine as a simple 3 axis machine and connect the 2 tandem drives in stepconf by using the same axis for both outputs. After tuning you can revert to using the tandem config as you would have the exact values for the connfig.
Otherwise tuning the tandem axis has to be done very carefully buy changing the settings and testing the new settings on BOTH joints at the same time.

More
21 Sep 2020 22:28 #183196 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic No Pulses from Linuxcnc
comment out your home switches and in the ini just have:

HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

then you just need to press home all.

More
22 Sep 2020 00:34 #183208 by ramaral
Replied by ramaral on topic No Pulses from Linuxcnc
Thanks for the quick response, I'll try that tomorrow.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds