Latest Encoder recommendation

More
26 Sep 2020 23:16 #183899 by AirBeast
Hi, what encoders are people using these days?

I've got an old retrofitted Cincinnati with original scales, servos, servo dynamics dirves, 7i77. I was never able to fully tune out an overshoot out of the servos. Ended up giving up years ago and just having a slow acceleration (6) to mask the problem. Not sure where my problem is. It's quite the hefty mill with no flex or slop in the ball screws. Wanted to try this again. I'm going to swap the servo dynamics drives to AMC drives and install encoders on the servos.

I narrowed down the encoders to US Digital, DMM DSN08, and the AMT encoder. Not sure about the AMT since I heard they're laggy. Which is the main thing I'm trying to resolve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2020 11:39 #184565 by andypugh

I narrowed down the encoders to US Digital, DMM DSN08, and the AMT encoder. Not sure about the AMT since I heard they're laggy. Which is the main thing I'm trying to resolve.

I would suggest looking for something that is a straight optical encoder. As you have noted the AMT magnetic encoders do signal processing onboard and don't have a great dynamic response.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds