How to Spindle Synchronized Motion

More
30 Sep 2020 15:57 #184391 by Donno
I recently bought a Lichuan A4 Servo Driver and I am trying to understand how to connect it to LinuxCNC to achieve Spindle Synchronized Motion. Reading this Spindle Example

Spindle feedback is needed by EMC to perform any spindle coordinated motions like threading and constant surface speed. The StepConf Wizard can perform the connections for you if you select Encoder Phase A and Encoder Index as inputs.

Hardware assumptions:

An encoder is connected to the spindle and puts out 100 pulses per revolution on phase A
The encoder A phase is connected to the parallel port pin 10
The encoder index pulse is connected to the parallel port pin 11

I am currently using the parallel breakout board and the spindle driver manual looks like this :

There is a Pulse Feedback output circuit with a Frequency division Filter. I assume the Frequency division Filter can be used to output 100 pulses per revolution to LinuxCNC ?

There is also a circuit to use a 26LS32 to get a Phase Output. Do I connect the output of the 26LS32 to the input pin of the breakout board for each phase ?

The other question is there are only Phase A , Phase B and Index spindle input pins where would i connect the Spindle index input pin to ?

Any help or explanation on this topic
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 22:11 #184427 by andypugh
I am unclear quite what you are asking, as you seem to have it all worked out.
Maybe the only missing piece is that "Z" and "Index" are exactly the same thing?

More
01 Oct 2020 09:21 #184469 by Donno
Thank you for the help ! I am new to all of this and just want to make sure my understanding is correct. You say the Z phase and Index spindle pin is the same do i just use the Z output after it went through the DIFFERENTIAL LINE RECEIVER or do i use the CZ pin as the spindle index pin ? Complete Manual
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2020 09:36 #184471 by andypugh
You might not need any line transceiver. It rather depends on the spindle drive output voltage and the specification of your breakout board.
Does the BoB have any information about connecting differential signals?

CZ is "Z signal set electrode output end" which is gibberish to me.

I think I would connect pin 24 to the BoB digital GND and then try connecting A+, B+ and Z+ to individual input terminals. If that doesn't work then try the A-, B- Z-.

Use Halscope to check the inputs directly at the p-port driver in LinuxCNC.

More
01 Oct 2020 12:00 #184491 by Donno
I am using the Mach3 BOB . I already bought the 26LS32 IC, reading up on its function it seems to remove noise from any interference to output a clean signal. My volt meter reads -12V to 12V from ground on the Positive and Negative Servo Driver Phase Pins, so i assume that would be too much for the BOB to handle.The 26LS32 output is 5V.

After connecting the 26LS32 up with some LEDs the Phase A and Phase B act like a Binary Counter and The Phase Z(Spindle index) will stay on and only switch off and then back on again at a certain position on the motor shaft after making 1 rotation.

Does that behavior sound right?

More
01 Oct 2020 13:35 #184493 by andypugh
Yes, that's all good.

More
01 Oct 2020 13:42 #184494 by andypugh
You have probably already realised this, but you want the line-driver as close as possible to the BoB, to maximise the benefit of the differential pair signalling.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds