how to use servodrive with resolver

More
30 Sep 2020 20:31 #184415 by aleksamc
I think about possibility to retrofit old milling machine with 6 axis.
There is such devices:
- motors are brushless 3phase with resolver feedback.
- servodrives has analog control input and resolver feedback.

I didn't found any manual for servodrive. I didn't found encoders.
Also some of servodrives are not wotking. It's possible that I will leave that motors unused or will found new servos.
I think about using resolver feedbacks also for cnc system. I found that 7i49 mesa board will be good for this.

But I have question:
how to use resolver feedback if it's already used by servodrive? Can I connect pins in parallel to split signal to linuxcnc also?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 20:56 #184422 by Todd Zuercher
Usually the servo drive is equipped to simulate and output an incremental (quadrature) encoder signal that is fed back to the control.

Any chance you have manuals for those? (a quick google didn't turn up anthing for me.)

More
30 Sep 2020 22:47 #184432 by andypugh
You can use resolvers directly (7i49, for example, with a torque-mode or (tacho) velocity mode servo drive.)

Or you can use a drive that uses the resolvers and outputs quadrature signals to the controller.

The 7i49 expects to be the excitation source for the resolver, though. So it isn't really possible for both the drive and controller (LinuxCNC) to share the resolver.

I have two machines using resolver servos and the 7i49. But both of them are using Mesa 8i20 servo drives, so all the loops are in LinuxCNC.

A really neat solution is the STMBL drive, that can drive the servos directly, using resolver feedback, and the control signal is floating-point positions on the Mesa smart-serial protocol. But currently there is a supply problem with a critical component of the the STMBL so it is not necessarily an available solution.

More
26 Oct 2020 05:51 - 26 Oct 2020 05:56 #187275 by aleksamc
I found that old servodrives have encoder output to CNC but I found nothing for work in moment mode.
Does Mesa have some board that give encoder outpur signal, that I can connect to servo drive? I think about changing some servodrives.
What is the servo 8i20. Does it's complit device that can install and it will work?

I have motors for 9 (5pcs) and 38A (1pcs).

I wonder, can I use freaquency drive to control this motors? Can I use some Discreat signal from 7i77 board to change direction of rotating?
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2020 05:56 by aleksamc.

More
26 Oct 2020 09:29 #187284 by andypugh
I am using one of the Moog motors like your 5A on my milling machine Z axis, so it can definitely be made to work.

The 8i20 is just a dumb drive. It has no feedback built in and almost no onboard processing. You send it a current demand and rotor angle down the smart-serial line and it generates a suitable phase angle in the motor magnetic field.

To convert the resolver feedback to rotor angle I use a Mesa 7i49.

The 7i49 can also generate analogue output for a servo drive, but that is not useful when using an 8i20.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds