Machine units=inches-Lead screw=metric

More
30 Sep 2020 20:55 #184421 by kfashby2020
Hello from Dixie to all you Linux guru's. Newbie here doing a CNC mini lathe conversion with a question. Looking over LinuxCNC as a control software in the "Base Information" machine units would be inches, as that is what I'm familiar with. Further down the config screen under "Axis X (Y) the "Lead Screw Pitch" is set for inches/rev. Searching for upgrading my lead screws to Ball Screws, most of which are metric. Hence my question, can I do the metric to inch conversion for the Lead Screw Pitch entry. Example: 5mm ball screw, 1 start = .196850 inches/rev = 5.08 rev/inch.
Note: As I stated i am a newbie to the CNC word and Linux, but been a machinist for many moons. All help is great is greatly appreciated and thanks for having me.

kim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2020 22:40 #184431 by andypugh
Yes, no problem at all.

It's all just numbers to the computer.

More
30 Sep 2020 22:53 #184433 by kfashby2020
Thanks Andy. Do my figures look correct? How many decimal point will Linux let you enter in the lead screw field. My reasoning is the more decimal points, the more accurate the result.
Again, thanks for the reply and the help.

More
30 Sep 2020 23:02 #184435 by andypugh
LinuxCNC uses double-precision, so that's about 15 significant digits.
Inside the travel of a typical machine you don't need that. You can stop at one atomic radius :-)

Your numbers are correct for the config wizard. But you could consider editing the INI file afterwards where the input data will have been converted to steps-per-inch and a more-round number might be possible. For example a 5mm screw and a 200 steps-per-rev motor at 8x microstepping is exactly 8128 steps per inch.

More
01 Oct 2020 00:18 #184438 by kfashby2020
Andy, thanks again. For us new guys it really means a lot to have someone with knowledge help lead the way.The only problem is I was really shooting for that A-tomic radius. Oh well, maybe not such a good idea for a 7X10 import lathe.
As for the INI file, what would be the purpose of changing that. Newbie question I know, this is really all new to me. Are you saying that after entering my conversion number for the lead screw, to check the INI file and adjust the the steps-per-inch to match the true number?
Or am I missing something here?

More
01 Oct 2020 00:58 #184439 by arvidb

LinuxCNC uses double-precision, so that's about 15 significant digits.
Inside the travel of a typical machine you don't need that. You can stop at one atomic radius :-)

I got curious about how many decimal places is required to reach that atomic radius. :) According to Wikipedia, the radius of an aluminium atom is about 125 pm, or 0.000000005 inch.

For a 0.5 m long axis, that's one part if 4 billion, so you'd need 10 decimal places to get the required precision. Obviously I'm very relieved that LinuxCNC has the precision required to handle this. :D

More
01 Oct 2020 01:15 #184440 by BeagleBrainz
Can Linuxcnc calculate probability & wave functions ? Atoms aren't quite close enough for me.

More
01 Oct 2020 08:53 #184464 by rodw

Can Linuxcnc calculate probability & wave functions ? Atoms aren't quite close enough for me.

I'm glad to be using metric units I think. I am happy with microns so milimetres to 3 decimals is enough for me :)

More
01 Oct 2020 09:09 #184466 by BeagleBrainz
Yeah but you're using fire ;)

Anything hot & bright = fire

More
01 Oct 2020 09:24 #184470 by andypugh

As for the INI file, what would be the purpose of changing that. Newbie question I know, this is really all new to me. Are you saying that after entering my conversion number for the lead screw, to check the INI file and adjust the the steps-per-inch to match the true number?
Or am I missing something here?

The number you calculated should come out as a round(ish) number of steps-per-inch as there are a round number of steps-per-rev and and only one significant decimal digit in mm-per-inch. But the reciprocal is very long: 1 inch = 25.4mm but 1mm = 0.039370078740157480314960629921259842519685039370079... inch.
So, the number that you need to enter in the config wizard is very long, but should resolve to a shorter and more exact number in the INI.

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds