Killed my system trying to install a iMach3 P2S pendent

More
02 Oct 2020 19:41 #184609 by rogerfries
Since I couldn't get my shuttle pro working I bought a Vista CNC iMachIII P2-S pendent that alleged Linux CNC Compatibility.

I believe I closely followed the installation instructions, but nor my LinuxCNC won't start. Doe!

Any ideas?

File Attachment:

File Name: Boss5_2020...02-2.ini
File Size:6 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc.report.txt
File Size:8 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Boss5_2020...02-2.hal
File Size:14 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2020 20:27 - 02 Oct 2020 20:29 #184618 by PCW
The error is this:

./vc-p2s.hal:22: Pin 'halui.axis.x.plus' was already linked to signal 'jog-x-pos'

What the means is that you have a duplicate hal connection on line 22
of vc-p2s.hal (which you did not post here)

It duplicates this line:

# ---HALUI signals---

net axis-select-x halui.axis.x.select
net jog-x-pos halui.axis.x.plus <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
net jog-x-neg halui.axis.x.minus
net jog-x-analog halui.axis.x.analog

near the bottom of Boss5_2020...02-2.hal
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 20:29 by PCW.

More
02 Oct 2020 20:58 #184621 by rogerfries
I attached the vc-p2s.hal file. So how do I fix this. Remove one? which one?

File Attachment:

File Name: vc-p2s.hal
File Size:5 KB
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2020 21:07 #184622 by PCW
I would probably comment them out in the
Boss5_2020...02-2.hal file.

I suspect you will find _many_ similar errors

More
02 Oct 2020 21:14 #184623 by rogerfries
I'll start coomenting stuff out. I did not build this file, It was provided by the pendent vendor. Nothing works out of the box for Linux CNC!

More
03 Oct 2020 03:01 #184657 by rogerfries
It's back running! Thanks!! I didn't have much time to test, but after commenting out 15 or so lines it's working, I think I'm back in operation and the pendent even seems to work for at least basic functions. I guess the autopsy doesn't matter too much, but i'm still wondering what went so wrong here. Did I screw it up? in this case, I don't think so, I certainly did not key those lines into the files. Is it poor software from Vista CNC? Or some incompatibility with Vista CNC and the pncconf wizard?

More
03 Oct 2020 08:02 #184670 by BeagleBrainz
I'd hate to disagree but it was your fault.

It was your error by not seeing or reading or trying to understand this line in the error log.
./vc-p2s.hal:22: Pin 'halui.axis.x.plus' was already linked to signal 'jog-x-pos'
That's what the error log is for, to read and see where the error is. Just take a bit of time to have a read. Take a deep breath and try and work out what mistake you made.
I wouldn't say the wizzard is incompatible, it just doesn't know about that piece of hardware. So it means sometimes you have to do a bit of research and maybe read the docs over a couple of times. And with the bits you don't understand just say I read XYZ I get XZ but Y is a bit confusing. You do that and maybe one of the devs will see it and say ok we can make that change so it is a bit clearer. The devs don't know what you can & can't understand amd if they don't how can the docs be improved ?
Vista CnC supplied a pretty good set of instructions and the hal files seemed right. They weren't to know you were going to double up on pin names.

Yes there is a learning curve and it can be steeper for some than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, pinder

More
03 Oct 2020 11:41 #184679 by AlekseySP

Did I screw it up? in this case, I don't think so, I certainly did not key those lines into the files. Is it poor software from Vista CNC? Or some incompatibility with Vista CNC and the pncconf wizard?

I had a same problem and solved it same way. On my first setup with parallel port and stepconf wizard everything was fine. The problem popped out when I switched to mesa.

More
03 Oct 2020 11:50 #184680 by rodw
If you take a hal file created by a third party for a parallel port and attempt to use it on other hardware which has different pin names of course it will fail.

Its up to you to take responsibility for your own configuration settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz, pinder

More
03 Oct 2020 12:48 #184682 by rogerfries
"./vc-p2s.hal:22: Pin 'halui.axis.x.plus' was already linked to signal 'jog-x-pos'"

Is not a clear message to a new user, no doubt it's obvious to you pros. To a newbe "./vc-p2s.hal:22: " wasn't even clear it was referring to a a file. Perhaps if read more like "File: vc-p2s.hal, Line 22 ...", but I'm sure no one is interested in suggestions from me. Even now I'm wondering if commenting out those lines will have a side effect when I test the machine later? Have I lost keyboard jogging or something like that

"They weren't to know you were going to double up on pin names." I didn't add those lines to the file, perhaps the config wizard did? Vista could have included an installer that checks for things like that, but clearly we are not in the polished world of Windows anymore.

I still want to push on as I believe once I get past the install, I will have a better end product that I can backup and restore after a system crash without having to worry about windows and mach activation issues. The one thing that is clear without all of your community support LinuxCNC is unusable product. The question is, have I already worn out my welcome? Should I just go back to the simple life if Windows and Mach? Or will you tolerate a few more stupid questions from me?

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds