Wicd Network Manager with Mesa Ethernet cards

More
05 Oct 2020 16:47 #184985 by jtrantow
I just updated to the buster LinuxCNC 2.8 iso which uses the Wicd Network Manager.

The sticky at forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...t-mesa-boards#121458 uses the Network Manager and not wicd.

I am trying to simultaneously connect a Mesa 7i92 to the motherboard ethernet and the wifi to the internet. I can set up and successfully switch between the direct and wireless interfaces. But I can't figure out how to simultaneously use both interfaces.

Do I need to uninstall wicd and install the Network Manager to get this to work?
I tried connecting to wifi with wicd and using ip link set dev mydirectconnectdevicename up but that didn't work either.
I've used ifconfig to get multiple interfaces working on other installs, but wicd and ip are new to me. Is there a supported way to get both interfaces to work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2020 17:18 #184986 by jtrantow
From #182754

apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome
apt-get remove wicd wicd-gtk

Wifi and direct connect to mesa now work simultaneously. Suggest adding this step to #121458
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Oct 2020 21:15 #185008 by tommylight

From #182754

apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome
apt-get remove wicd wicd-gtk

Wifi and direct connect to mesa now work simultaneously. Suggest adding this step to #121458

Done.
Thank you.

More
27 Jun 2021 20:08 #213047 by JackW327
Worth mentioning perhaps. Wicd did not initially let go for me. My hack at this was:

>> Reboot
>> apt-get remove wicd wicd-gtk again (under sudo)
>> Reboot
>> service NetworkManager restart (under sudo)

Then re-setup the WiFi & follow the instructions in post #121458 linked to in the OP. Now I can ping my 7i95 at 10.10.10.10. Moving on ...

Shortly after I did the second remove the icon in the task bar changed so I believe netman took over at that point. After the 1st reboot, before the 2nd remove, Wicd was still present in the Xfce Internet menu and it was still managing the connections.

A little hacking may be required is all. Kind of expected when two stacks of software are trading the same physical resources.

Time to create page: 0.339 seconds