Thermal dynamics cutmaster 82 and mesa THC

More
06 Oct 2020 22:40 #185155 by Craft4539
hello all,

I have a cutmaster 82 that I purchased new in 2009 which I would like to use as the power source for a plasma table. This unit does not have the CNC interface but one is available from the manufacturer, their is a pin terminal on the wiring diagram J10 that makes the the below data available along with raw arc voltage. Does using the Mesa THC delete the need for the 9-8311 TD machine interface that gives a 50:1divided voltage output.

Arc ok
Start
+12 volts

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2020 23:38 #185166 by PCW
Can you get the interface with the divider?
This is safer as it involves no high voltage wiring

More
07 Oct 2020 01:53 #185177 by Craft4539
yes, but if the Mesa THC would work I could apply the funds towards linear rails.

Just trying to place funds in the best places.

Thanks

More
07 Oct 2020 02:27 #185181 by PCW
The THCAD-300 should work (it can connect directly to the plasma voltage) but requires careful wiring to avoid multiple electrical hazards

More
07 Oct 2020 10:13 #185223 by rodw
I have the Thermal Dynamics A120 plasma cutter. The A says it came as standard with the automation interface.
I would buy the interface, set it to 30:1 and use a THCAD-10 with no scaling resistor (full scale 300 volts)
This is how I have my machine set up and it works well.

The divider gives a very clean signal and you get a real ArcOK so you end up with a better, more robust, more reliable machine. I know people will tell you its not necessary, but really, you have enough challenges in front of you building a machine without adding some more possible problems!

Ultimately, if you don't already have it, factor in a SL100 machine torch. That will make your eyes water a lot more than the automation interface!

More
07 Oct 2020 12:46 #185240 by Craft4539
Thanks Rod, I've read your entire build string , I've been watching ebay for the automation card and the machine torch. I appreciate your guidance as I don't want to purchase unnecessary items.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds