intro and breakout board questions

More
11 Nov 2020 13:55 - 11 Nov 2020 14:08 #188995 by measuretwice
Hello,

Another Linux CNC beginner here. Some forums like an intro; Live in Toronto, have been very active with metal working for 25 years, have a design build/fabrication business, like to make model engines, tooling and recondition machines for fun. I mess with a bit of electronics (not very good), have written a lot of articles for Home Shop Machinist and am learning how to repair and service watches and clocks.

An embarrassing long time ago I bought a Bridgeport Series 1 rigid ram cnc mill. The idea was to remove all the old electronics and steppers and update with modern servos. I bought a package of used Yaskawa controllers and servos (bought 4 to so as to have a 4th axis) and servos, adapted them to each axis, and have slowly been chipping away at the project

I've pretty much decided linux cnc is the way to go. I almost went with the Centroid Acorn but the licensing and limited software was a real turn off. Mach 4 sounded pretty good but I disliked the tying software to the PC, so here I am.

Aside from a bunch of PITA cable making, I'm nearing completion and need a ethernet break out board. I believe the Yaskawa controllers just require a step and direction input. I see the Mesa's are frequently recommended. Other requirements ....4 axis, estop, limit switches (I guess that is fairly standard), encoder input from spindle, control the motor VFD and a decent pendant.

I'd love to hear your suggestions on a board and pendant (do they typically run off the break out board, or get plugged into the PC?) or any other beginner advice.

Thanks!

Mike
Last edit: 11 Nov 2020 14:08 by measuretwice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2020 14:06 #188998 by tommylight
Welcome to the dark side ... or the bright side, depending on how you look at it ! :)
From what you require and suing step/dir control, a single Mesa 7i76E will do just fine.
Personally i prefer closing the loop in LinuxCNC and that can be done for step/dir and/or analogue control types, so just to have a way of implementing that later i would spring for a 7i95 for step/dir type or 7i97 for analogue type. Those are all ethernet connected cards to the PC, come with very detailed information and the best support bar none in the form of PCW who is a very active member of this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: measuretwice

More
11 Nov 2020 18:48 #189022 by measuretwice
So it look likes your recommend 7i95 has inputs for a pendant. In that case I think i'll get the board on order and worry about what pendant later

thanks

More
11 Nov 2020 20:43 #189037 by tommylight
I never use pendants, in most cases they are just a gimmick, but very useful on big machines.
I did find some small keyboards that have only the num pad keys and a button to enable and disable numlock, they are perfect for such things as i can jog and home the machine and set the material zero from it, and they cost about 9 or 10 Euro a piece.

More
12 Nov 2020 08:08 #189093 by rodw

So it look likes your recommend 7i95 has inputs for a pendant. In that case I think i'll get the board on order and worry about what pendant later

thanks

The 7i76e can support 2 MPG's and can support a pendant if its hard wired or uses a wireless receiver that can be wired in. Another alternative is to use a 7i73 which is designed by mesa to build pendants. The other choice is to use a USB pendant.

More
13 Nov 2020 01:33 #189174 by measuretwice
Thanks Rod.... I already bought the 7i95. I've done so much procrastination i needed to break the pattern. Build is great, but the project list is just too long at the moment.

Tommy, I've got a mid size Takumi at the plant when I've used it I really liked the pendant - with your face stuck in a set up reading an indicator, its oh so nice to be able move things from where you are. A wireless remote into the mesa board looks like a good option, but no need to decide today
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
13 Nov 2020 11:30 #189198 by tommylight
Oh i do have two of the 7i73 waiting patiently, one of them is already wired to a 7i77 that i use for testing. :)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds