Using work and tool offsets

More
09 Jan 2021 08:18 #194569 by Willheg
Hi Everyone,

This may have been asked many time before but I’m trying to get my home built router with just a standard ER16 fixed collet system more automated and easier to use if possible.

I did ask a question the other week to no avail, but have been think after I posted this question that maybe I’m doing it all wrong and have been looking into "better" ways to do what I’m looking at.

Basically at this point in time I set my G54 X0Y0Z0 with the first tool and rung "Path 1", than touch off my tool using a touch plate and change the G54 offset using gcode each time i change the tool to make my parts, the issue I have is the preview/backplot is miles off in space and does not overlay the g-coded program after tool changes.

My thought is to either try the "axis-remote --reload" after a tool change and see if that works, or the other thought is to set up a "tool setter" and change the tool offset each time i load a new tool.

In thinking this over I’m liking the sound of the second option better but am struggling to get my head around how to implement it in gcode.

I have got to the point in thinking I need to set my G54 X0Y0Z0 with say the nose of the collet holder with no nut etc, then touch off the "tool setter" to get a known value and store this in a variable so later in the program after installing a new tool and doing a touch off it then gets the new Z location and subtracts the stored variable location from the initial process to get the tool length offset then store this so it sets everything right.

If someone could either advise me if I’m on the right path or point me in the direction of some nice information on how this is achieved so I can get my head around this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading if you have got this far, and if you post a reply thanks for sharing your information/source to help me out.
Or if you require more information to help out just flick me a message, and I will supply what I need if I can as soon as I can.

William

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2021 10:03 #194576 by aleksamc
You have wrote so many text about so simple thing.

As for me I use each time axis offset and tool offset is disabled.
But you can activate tool offset and to use
File > Tool table and write there settings for your tools. where Z is differe for each tool.
Then in G-code you simply write M6 T2
Where T2 - tool number 2. And so on.

More
10 Jan 2021 19:40 #194764 by andypugh
Why not use the "touch off" buttons in the GUI rather than using G-code? I think that if you do it that way it will auto-refresh the backplot.

More
14 Jan 2021 06:42 #195289 by Willheg
Replied by Willheg on topic Using work and tool offsets
Thanks for the replys so far everyone,

My thought process behind this is i'd like one file to be load with different work offsets if required so I can do start to finish machining without having to manually reset parameter, load dirrent files for different tools etc, or load files to have the back polt and live plot overlaid.

I have tried changing from g54 to g55 to g56 after setting the with the touch off buttons, when setting the screen updates but and mdi change it does not.

i have come across a similair situation from someone else and they have found or been advise to use a custom M Code that uses
"axis-remote --reload" which i have tested and seamed to work.

But I will keep searching or wait for more replys.

Once again thanks so far.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds