Linux Mint + other distros (why)?

More
10 Jan 2021 20:42 #194775 by robertspark
This is a bit of a strange question, but I've been wondering as a LinuxCNC dabbler....

Why do some users like Linux Mint in lieu of using the Debian LinuxCNC live boot + install distros?

I know that this is a personal preference thing, but am I missing something? Mint is based upon debian / or debian + ubantu with a choice of desktops (cinnamon, mate or xfce).... but is it not jut packed full of programmes that you probably don't need with a cnc machine?

I mean you could install via the debian LinuxCNC live boot, remove xfce, and change the desktop to cinnamon, mate or whatever?)

Any you could just install the core features of the desktop environment which doesn't come with all the other stuff that you probably won't need?

such as:

sudo apt install mate-desktop-environment-core

for just the "core" of mate

or:
apt install mate-desktop-environment

for the full desktop environment

similar things can be done for cinnamon LXDE, etc

wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment

I was surprised how much other stuff was loaded with mint, hence I'm just playing with other desktop environments just to have a look for something I feel comfortable with.

curious what is liked about Mint or disliked about pure Debian + xfce + linuxcnc installed as per the linuxcnc live disk?

I've seen the wifi manager mentioned buy that can be easily changed

what else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2021 21:51 #194785 by BeagleBrainz
Mint has support for more hardware "out of the box" particularly wifi. Which is a big thing for newcomers to Linux.

The Mint desktop has a more "Windows like" feel, which some coming from a Windows environment, feel more comfortable with. Personally I prefer the way Mint configures the Start Menu and having the panel at the bottom of the screen. Small things yes, but a new user may not know how to move panels. There are also some nice bits & pieces integrated into caja.

With regards to other programs I've mentioned this before, but a lot of users like to have Libre Office and a web browser. But in essence it all come to personal taste. The software being there doesn't generally impact the running of Linuxcnc.

Myself I run Mint on all my PC\Laptops at home. I have a Ubuntu server setup to act as a repo, so I can perform updates on one machine upload the packages to the server and te other PCs\Laptops can get the updated packages from the local server rather than the net.

Someone may be running Mint on their PC and are use to it and want the same environment for their cnc machine.

In the end Linux & Open Source Software comes down to choice.

Just a bit of a personal opinion here, if Linuxcnc was tied to just a single distro it wouldn't be in the spirit of the OSS model. Their would be no choice.

In saying all that if you are completely new to Linux the Official Debian ISO from Linuxcnc is the way to go. And after hosting ISO's and packages for Mint, which I stopped cos I'm not a people person and the support was stressing me, there is a lot of work involved and they really really deserve thanks, especially Andy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark, thefabricator03

More
10 Jan 2021 22:16 #194789 by robertspark
thanks for the reply, always curious, always learning.

More
10 Jan 2021 22:46 #194796 by cmorley
Because Debian is not as user friendly out of the box.
(I personally hate it - its death by a million paper cuts.)

Surely you can spend time to fix Debian, or just use Mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark

More
10 Jan 2021 22:47 #194797 by tommylight
For me in simple terms, it just works.
I use Mint with Mate DE on almost everything i own (over 20 PC and laptops), Mint with XFCE on some older ones, but i do use Debian official LinuxCNC version on industrial machines and retrofits.
Mint is now or well from 17 (not mentioning the 17 issue with messing up USB flash drives, shhhh :) ) till 19 at the point where Ubuntu 10.04 was: Built like a tank, everything works out of the box, install and remove anything and everything, mess it up badly and still bring it back in 5 minutes, etc etc.
For someone that installs Linux on daily basis those are of utmost importance, mentioned several times that you can have a fully working LinuxCNC install on Linux Mint in 20 to 30 minutes, and that is valid for older PC's, on my new PC it literally took 2:32 minutes to have Mint installed from an external USB3 SDD to the internal NVME ! Add another 5 minutes for the kernel and LinuxCNC.
And you are right, Mint has to much useless stuff, but it does not have SNAP, and i am very thankful for that, i really hate forcing that on other distros, it will install whatever the package owner wants it to without asking you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark, thefabricator03

More
10 Jan 2021 22:49 #194799 by BigJohnT
I don't care for the desktop in the live dvd but I still use Debian 10 but with the Mate desktop. It's quite simple now to get LinuxCNC going on a stock Debian 10 install. Refer to the Documents Getting LinuxCNC section for instructions to install the preempt kernel and LinuxCNC.

I used to use Linux Mint only because the desktops in Debian were just terrible IMHO.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, robertspark

More
10 Jan 2021 22:54 #194800 by tommylight

Because Debian is not as user friendly out of the box.
(I personally hate it - its death by a million paper cuts.)

Surely you can spend time to fix Debian, or just use Mint.

Sometimes, not always, that is so true it is not funny any more.
Had it cr@p out magnificently after a normal update to the point it was useless, Wheezy that is, twice.
BTW, just for giggles, i have 5 ethereum miners running Mint 17.3 for over 3 years, 24h, never had a single issue with them! Well i did, but failing fans on graphic cards, not Mint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
10 Jan 2021 23:20 #194806 by robertspark
So it's MATE DE that is the preferred choice. (be that mint or debian by the looks of the discussion)

More
11 Jan 2021 05:16 #194847 by CORBETT
Since some of the main players are here I wanted to ask what is the best approach for a bullet proof system for running at the machine only.

At the machines I am running LCNC only, none are hooked to the internet, nor do I need any of the extra packages that are included with a typical distribution. I keep 3 LCNC sim setups in my house for testing and to create g-code to take out to the machines. All 3 setups are for different machines and setup so that I can test my code before ever taking out to make parts... saves a ton of time when tweaking.
I have been sticking with Debian as LCNC was distributed on Debian in the theory that was more bullet proof than other distributions. I have played with other distros in the past, but never have used one on a machine. It's hard enough to just be able to acquire all of the machines that we have and I certainly do not want to wreck good machinery just to try out some new distribution that may not be tried and true. Like Tom (tommylight) I have a machine fetish :)

I have installed several minimal flavors like TinyCORE, and I know like EtherCAT I am in no man's land when needing help building LCNC to that distro as why I revert back to Debian to get available help when something goes wrong.

I am totally comfortable to work from the command line without a desktop, and I start LCNC in "Automatic Startup" so that when I turn on the machine power LCNC starts up after Linux boots. So are there any gains in reliability if you go with a minimal debian disto without a desktop, or is it not worth all the effort compared to the little gain in reliability? I have a bad OCD when it comes to minimal software in a computer and will waste a lot of time on trying to get everything down to "Nothing" LOL.

The bottom line for me is that out in the shop at the machine I am not interested in shiny new desktops, I am only interested in reliability. Plus after you have ran LCNC for a good while, to me it really does not matter what distro you are on its all about using LCNC proficiently at the machine.

As always, thanks for all that you guy's do for us.... and Tom, don't hammer me too bad I like Mint also.
Robert

More
11 Jan 2021 05:36 #194851 by BeagleBrainz
If you aren't connected to the 'net, removing any "extra" packages isn't going to make your setup any more or less bullet proof. Sometimes removing things can cause issues if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing.

I run a standard install of Mint 19.3 with a few extra packages that I always like to have on hand and have never had any issues.

All my other General use PCs\Laptops run Mint and have done for a while. Never had any crashes, issues or any other problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds