Linux Mint + other distros (why)?

More
11 Jan 2021 09:19 #194864 by tommylight
For runing machines and nothing else, well except for gcode editing, i use official Debian.
As Beagle mentioned, if it is not on the net, nothing to worry, it will work for years and years ... till some hardware fails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CORBETT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2021 12:58 #194895 by BigJohnT

I have been sticking with Debian as LCNC was distributed on Debian in the theory that was more bullet proof than other distributions.

Debian was chosen after a licensing issue came up with Ubuntu that prevented us from using it on the LiveCD. Ubuntu 10.04 is/was my favorite and is still running on my Hardinge CHNC chucker lathe and my shop built plasma cutter and everyone is connected to my LAN except my VNC which still runs on DOS 6 as it's a 386 motherboard.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: robertspark, CORBETT

More
11 Jan 2021 16:53 #194925 by CORBETT
JT,
Ok good to know.... as I was thinking that you guy's had built around the Debian platform specific.

DOS 6... I remember those day's... In 1988 my father bought a Texas Instruments server with Unix (why I am comfortable from command line), it was a learning curve at the beginning...

Tom,
Yeah at the moment I am going to stay with Debian at the machines, just as I have them.

Beagle,
Yeah I know what you are saying with breaking things if you don't know what you are doing, LOL... I am pretty good at finding out if it will break as I usually think I know more than I do... LOL. I still learn something new everyday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Jan 2021 22:27 #194968 by rodw
I am happy to use Debian but prefer to use Mint on a desktop.

I found that I could not install Debian without a network connection which posed a bit of a problem when I had to install a network driver. Mint did not care and caught up later..

If LCNC were to add the network driver required for an Odroid H2+ to the default ISO, it would be perfect!

More
11 Jan 2021 23:35 #194985 by BigJohnT
I've install Debian several times without a network connection... using the full install and not the net install.

JT

More
11 Jan 2021 23:49 #194989 by rodw

I've install Debian several times without a network connection... using the full install and not the net install.

JT

Aahh! so I picked the wrong option. I will redo it.

More
12 Jan 2021 02:52 #195005 by tommylight
Use the non-free version of Debian ISO, no issues with drivers.

More
12 Jan 2021 07:04 #195018 by CORBETT
I had a different problem in which I was trying to do the network install, but I only had wireless internet mifi.... It would seamlessly install when hardwired cat5, but no go with wireless (no drivers). I would take a computer to my friends house to do a fresh install off his hardwire connection and back to my place to setup.

This got time consuming when I wanted to start a different build... So I finally made a work a round by getting a TP-Link TL-WA860RE Range Extender and connecting cat5 directly to the computer basically like a AP.. chose this as it was $12 shipped on eBay, cheap to accomplish the goal, and they are probably cheaper now even.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
12 Jan 2021 07:13 #195019 by rodw

Use the non-free version of Debian ISO, no issues with drivers.

There is if the network driver is not yet in the repositories. The H2+ uses 2.5gb ethernet

More
12 Jan 2021 11:39 #195037 by tommylight

Time to create page: 1.010 seconds