Update to 2.8 and Buster: 5i25 not recognized by mesaflash

More
16 Jan 2021 12:17 #195527 by hscnc
Hello,

after many hours of trying I need some help:

I have a 5i25 with a custom firmware I made. I set everything up in LinuxCNC 2.7 + Wheezy and got it working fine. For several reasons I installed version 2.8.0 and Debian 10 Buster via the official image. When I want to check the 5i25 using
sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --readhmid
I get an error:
ERROR: no HOSTMOT2 firmware found.
[...]

It used to work with the old setup and still does when I use a live version of 2.7 + Wheezy.

From some information I found in the forum I already tried
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-uspace
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I also reinstalled mesaflash.

What's the problem here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2021 14:55 #195535 by hscnc
I have some new information.

So far I've tried:

- 2.8 + Buster amd64 + mesaflash 3.4.0: doesn't work (this is the main problem from the first post)
- 2.7 + Wheezy i386 + mesaflash 3.3.0: works (also not new, mentioned this in the first post)
- 2.7 + Stretch amd64 + mesaflash 3.3.0: doesn't work
- 2.7 + Stretch i386 + mesaflash 3.3.0: works
- 2.8 + Buster amd64 + mesaflash 3.4.0:i386: doesn't work
- 2.8 + Buster amd64 + mesaflash 3.3.0: doesn't work
- 2.8 + Buster amd64 + mesaflash 3.3.0:i386: doesn't work.

From that I get that I need to install LinuxCNC 2.8 (which I want in the first place) and Buster i386, possibly downgrading mesaflash to 3.3.0. Is there an official ISO for Buster + 2.8?
I'm really not happy with this. The 5i25 is used by many people and should be supported in the current standard release.
I would really like a solution for that (Buster + 2.8 + mesaflash 3.4.0).

More
16 Jan 2021 15:09 #195536 by PCW
Does linuxCNC find the card?

More
16 Jan 2021 20:22 #195570 by hscnc
I didn't have LinuxCNC configured or even started after the install. I went straight to mesaflash to check the card. Now I took my old configuration and did the auto conversion suggested on startup of LinuxCNC. Everything works fine, the motors are controlled via the 5i25 and the encoders are read just fine. After the test I went back to mesaflash: It works now! So the problem is solved.

I should note that when I tested mesaflash again it was actually not installed. I forgot that I had removed it via
sudo apt-get remove mesaflash
and
sudo apt-cache policy
showed that it wasn't installed. So I have no idea why it still worked. I'm not too worried about that but I should still mention it since that, while unlikely, might have been the reason why mesaflash started working. I changed two variables at the same time.

Thank you very much PCW for the tip to see if LinuxCNC finds the card! That got me to the solution.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds