ABB IRB 6400 retrofitting

More
29 Jan 2021 16:08 #197066 by Freak
Replied by Freak on topic ABB IRB 6400 retrofitting
Thank you andypugh, i can't use the original drivers for the reasons i mentioned before.
The resolvers are read and sent to serial inside the robot. It's pretty complex, seem like that one board (called robot computer) controls all 6 the hbridges.
So I was planning a mesa setup with 8i20 + 7i49 as u mentioned, with some other mesa boards for serial and io expansion. But I didn't know about STMBL! It seems very cool! How it is the drive, has it a good dynamic? Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2021 16:35 #197069 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic ABB IRB 6400 retrofitting

But I didn't know about STMBL! It seems very cool! How it is the drive, has it a good dynamic? Thank you!

The STMBL has been used on a number of robots, but has the not inconsiderable issue of being almost unobtainable. There are no vendors, and the main power IC has been discontinued (though one stockholder has quite large stocks).
There is talk of a redesign to use a power stage made of more common discrete devices, but that has been going on for years.
It's not really an option unless you are wanting to have a set of boards made up and can find the IRAM module.

More
29 Jan 2021 17:06 - 29 Jan 2021 17:40 #197072 by Freak
Ok i see, u r talking about the IRAM256-2067A2.
There are some of that modules from china but they're costly.

I repaired few inverter and drives and most of the time they use integrated igbt bridges (except some ABB stuff), because designing a proper igbt driver stage + discrete igbt bridge is not so easy. Maybe exists an pseudo equivalent to that IRAM.
I definitely have to take a deeper look to the project.

I can order few pcb's, order a paste mask, clean the rust from mine pick&place and reflow oven and flash some micro.

So you confirm me that drive works well, comparably to standard industrial drive? I saw the videos on Youtube and seemed good!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2021 17:40 by Freak. Reason: missed some words

More
29 Jan 2021 17:17 #197076 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic ABB IRB 6400 retrofitting

So you confirm me that drive works well, comparably to standard industrial drive? I saw the videos on Youtube and seemed good!

I have no real experience with industrial drives, and not all that much with the STMBL.

I have 2 x 8i20 in my lathe, 3 x 8i20 and 1xSTMBL in my mill and 5 other STMBLs waiting for the right project. That's the sum total of my experience.

But if you have a PnP machine, making your own STMBL is probably less intimidating. Some people have hand-built them, but most have regretted starting.

More
29 Jan 2021 17:36 #197081 by Freak

andypugh wrote: Some people have hand-built them, but most have regretted starting.

ahaha I know that feeling... Ok that's great and you noticed some performance difference between 8i20 and STMBL?

Doing a rapid search I find IKCM30F60GA to be a good candidate for IRAM replacement.

More
08 Feb 2021 22:48 - 08 Feb 2021 22:50 #198090 by Freak
Just a brief update: I'm editing the stmbl schem-pcb-firmware to accomodate a much efficient and powerful on-semi integrated bridge (FNB34060T) and bigger caps.
So i had to modify the temperature reading, shunt resistors and other minor changes, but this bridge can delivery 4kW of power, with the same pcb form factor!
As soon I'll have the first prototype ready I'll post some news!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Feb 2021 22:50 by Freak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

More
09 Feb 2021 06:45 #198122 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic ABB IRB 6400 retrofitting
very nice.
I use the stmbl on a fairly large okuma lathe (ac servos).
They work very nicely once setup.
I don't use the lathe for production though so don't push them too hard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Freak

More
09 Feb 2021 13:55 #198142 by tommylight
@Freak,
nice, thank you.

More
14 Mar 2021 00:27 #202175 by Freak
Another quick update, I have the new pcbs, I plan to assemble this or next weekend.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb, tommylight

More
14 Mar 2021 01:32 #202181 by tommylight
After assembling, i will gladly test them for you, just mail them my way ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Freak

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds