Which file types Can I import into linux cncFro

More
05 Feb 2021 12:34 #197737 by john11668
So I am relatively new to CNC having built a hobby mill and converted a desktop lathe .
On the lathe i am trying to convert over to linux and I am using the gmocappy screen. I can jog in all directions , home ,and open the auto screens , I can control the machine under MDI but I am having difficulty with importing files to try.

I have a number of files which I created in mach using their wizards , and which all performed OK using Mach3 in auto mode .
Now I know that Gcode files are all in effect text files, and that post processors will create differences depending upon the system they are to be used in, but if I have a proven bit of code in Mach, can I save it with a file extension which will be acceptable to load into linuxcnc

Failing this is there a simple Cad program with a pp which will let me generate code files in Windows which I can then import into Linux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2021 14:37 #197749 by Clive S

Mach, can I save it with a file extension which will be acceptable to load into linuxcnc

Linuxcnc will accept .txt file and .ngc etc. Just rename your file extension

Most simple mach3 files should work fine

More
05 Feb 2021 17:01 #197759 by john11668
Thanks Clive
I see that you get around too! ;)

Mach, can I save it with a file extension which will be acceptable to load into linuxcnc

Linuxcnc will accept .txt file and .ngc etc. Just rename your file extension

Most simple mach3 files should work fine

This is nice to hear as I find the wizards on other platforms very useful at this early stage in my progress.
Unfortunately I am also having difficulty understanding the file handling of linux.

I have transported a few files on a memory stick. When I plug it in i can see the contents and seem to be able to see and move the files to limited locations like desktop and documents .
From Linuxcnc I dont seem to be able to access those locations .
I would like to place them into say the examples file which is readily accessible in linux cnc.

Clearly i have a bit to learn .

More
05 Feb 2021 21:08 - 05 Feb 2021 21:17 #197774 by Todd Zuercher
To start with, if you haven't noticed, Linux does not use drive letters to denote drive. A drive is pretty much seen as a folder and that can be placed anywhere in the directory hierarchy. Designating that place is called "Mounting". The directory structure starts at what is called the "root directory" and is designated by just a "/". Your will have your User directory, located in the "home" directory which is in the root dir.
The path will look like this, "/home/user_name/". This path is so often used that there is a generic shortcut that can be typed to get to it and that is "~/"

Linuxcnc sets up a directory in your user dir called "linuxcnc" this is where it saves all of your machine configuration files and g-code by default.
The g-code is saved in ~/linuxcnc/nc_files/ by default

You can either copy the files there, or navigate to where ever else you've saved the files and open them there within Linuxcnc. If you want to try to access them directly on your usb stick, you must first figure out where in the file system your system has mounted the usb stick. Unfortunately that could be in any number of places depending on what Linux distro you used. I believe the current Buster based Linuxcnc distro mounts a usb drive in /mounts/user_name/usb/. From the Linuxcnc file chooser window, navigate to the root dir by clicking the folder up button (top right corner of window) four times or so until you reach the root dir, then click the media folder, then your user name folder, then the usb folder...

You can also change the default location Linuxcnc looks for g-code files with an entry in your ini file in your config. In your ini file in the [DISPLAY] Section, change or add the line OPEN_FILE = /full/path/to/file.ngc. Where /full/path/to/file.ngc would be the path of the folder you want to open to by default (I think the default is ~/linuxcnc/nc_files/).
Last edit: 05 Feb 2021 21:17 by Todd Zuercher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
06 Feb 2021 00:05 #197794 by john11668
So if I can get the file open in cnc then It will be saved in G code files along with all the others ????
but Whilst in cnc I have navigated back to find my pen drive but if I click on it , it opens but does not seem to show the .txt files on there.

More
06 Feb 2021 08:45 #197812 by Clive S

So if I can get the file open in cnc then It will be saved in G code files along with all the others ????
but Whilst in cnc I have navigated back to find my pen drive but if I click on it , it opens but does not seem to show the .txt files on there.

Ok when you try to open a file a dialogue box opens where it is asking for a file name. Below that box there is a (files type box) click on the end and a popup will be there click on " all files (*) "

Add this to the ini file under [FILTER] this will make it permeant

[FILTER]
PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .png,.gif,.jpg Greyscale Depth Image
PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .py Python Script

PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .nc,.tap,.txt G-Code File
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668, rdtsc

More
06 Feb 2021 10:11 #197817 by newbynobi
With the gmoccapy file selector (called iconview) you are able to navigate through all the files of your computer.
The bottom button will help you:
Left and right arrow select next or previous file
house, jump directly to your home directory
A arrow up to change dir to one level up
A select button to load the selected file, or to open a folder, if a folder is selected.

So if you have stored a file on your desktop, just click on the home button, then on Desktop (Schreibtisch in Deutsch) and you will find the file you posted there, but only if your filters section in your INI file does contain the correct entrys. Gmoccapy will only show files listed in that section.

Norbert
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

More
06 Feb 2021 10:58 #197823 by john11668
Thanks guys .
Have only been exploring linux for a couple of weeks . I was warned that it could be a steep learning curve , and so far there seems to have been a new challenge around every corner . I suppose these challenges will become fewer once I get a bit more familiar , and once I get this lathe working on linux cnc then I don't expect I will be looking for much more . (Famous last words)

But seriously I appreciate the help I am getting here and I do only raise queries when I have failed to find a solution by trial and error. Ii just seem to be on a "fail a day" routine at the moment . Please bear with me .

Just a comment with regard to the stepconfig process .
I s there an option to start a new config based upon a copy of a working one . I havent seen that option but did think it would be dead handy. Especially for someone in the exploration phase like me .

More
08 Feb 2021 23:39 #198097 by andypugh

Just a comment with regard to the stepconfig process .
I s there an option to start a new config based upon a copy of a working one . I havent seen that option but did think it would be dead handy. Especially for someone in the exploration phase like me .

Not built-in, but:

Start Stepconf and select "modify an existing config" (or similar wording)
Open the .stepconf file (in the linuxcnc folder)
Now change the machine name in the "Machine Name" box and the wizard will create a new config folder and .stepconf file with the new name, but based on the file you selected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: john11668

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds