7i96 PWM open loop spindle speed fluctuation

More
17 Feb 2021 21:35 #199184 by Markyd
First time mesa user. I have a 7i96 driving 4 steppers with the 5th stepgen being used for PWM control of a cheap chinese VFD. Provlem is the VFD output is fluctuating quite a bit when not at min or max speed. If I measure the PWM output with a multimeter it appears stable. If I use a 10k pot to input the outage the VFD speed is steady and ontrollable. I have step+ and step- connected to the VLI and common terminals i use for the 10k pot. The 10k pot would be fed with 5v and the wiper feeding into the VLI terminal. The cable is about 3m long and heavily screened and earthed. This fluctuation occurs with anything running, even without the motor connected. Any thoughts on what may cause it?

Hal configuration shows the signals/pins to be stable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2021 22:01 #199185 by PCW
What PWM frequency?
Does the VFD indicate it will take PWM?
If not you may need a RC filer

More
17 Feb 2021 22:34 #199190 by Markyd
I'm pretty sure i saw a mention of 20k somewhere. Would that have been in the ini or hal files?

The VFD is a very cheap generic AT1, 2.2kw model from banggood that comes with next to no documentation. Ill cobble a filter together and see if that solves the issues as it certainly sounds like a good place to start. Thanks.

More
17 Feb 2021 22:47 #199193 by PCW
Typically PWM frequency setting would be in the hal file

I suspect he VFD expects a constant voltage so does not
do well with unfiltered PWM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markyd

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds