Mesa 7i76e + Pendant

More
13 Apr 2021 16:52 #205811 by joshwuh
Mesa 7i76e + Pendant was created by joshwuh
Hello,

I'm nearing the end of my machine build and I've been thinking about how to add a pendant once I get the machine running. I will be using a Dell Optiplex 780 in conjunction with a Mesa 7i76e to control the machine. This will be my first CNC. I am good with software, but I haven't dealt much with LinuxCNC before.

One thing that I don't totally understand is how a pendant would communicate with LinuxCNC. My best guess would be that, if done via USB, it would be emulating keyboard buttons or something as if it were a HID?

Assuming it would act as a HID, I've been trying to explore options like:
1. A Teensy 4.0 board with a 2.8" display for basic information and a matrix keypad for buttons; connected via USB
2. A Raspberry Pi Zero W connected to a display of sorts and using Python to handle the back end -- maybe also connected via USB as a HID?

I saw this post by another user seemingly wanting something similar and it was pointed out to them that since they are using a Mesa 7i76e they have options to continue with the Mesa ecosystem. Being so new to the CNC and associated hardware, I haven't totally grasped what benefit an MPG is and/or how many conductors it requires to run to my pendant.

Really, the world is my oyster here. I just need sage wisdom and advice to know where to go from here.
- What do I need to learn more about?
- What are my options for connecting my pendant?

I've attached a crude diagram of my Mesa 7i76e usage to show how little I've utilized it - I have a lot of I/O available. I will be using RS485 for spindle communication directly to my LinuxCNC PC if that makes a difference.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2021 20:25 - 13 Apr 2021 20:25 #205823 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
Probably the simplest solution would be to add a mesa 7i73 which is designed for a pendant interface. Your pendant is then connected via rs422 via a cat 6 cable. You could implement something similar with the 7i76e direct wired to IO pins but you need more wires in the cable.

I have a 433Mhz commercial grade wireless pendant that has a receiver unit hard wired to the 7i76e which is wired in to all the MPG and IO signals in the control panel.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 20:25 by rodw.

More
13 Apr 2021 21:06 #205826 by chris@cnc
Replied by chris@cnc on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
On this pendant you have additional buttons. You could teach very simple zero, tool set or any other connected option.
The quick and dirty way is a simple MPG direct on 7i76e. But it need lot of IO to select axis and inc and emg.
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2021 02:30 - 14 Apr 2021 02:30 #205840 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
One thing I noticed is that running through the 7I73 page it seems like it maybe only supports a 4x20 LCD display? Is there any chance that it supports a more advanced display and only mentions that one on the writeup? I would like to have a nice display but I suppose it's not a game-changer.

If I use RS485 to control my spindle (via USB to RS485 on the PC), will I still be able to change the spindle speed and control the spindle from the 7I73 pendant? Basically, can the 7I73 also push commands back to LinuxCNC to then be written to the spindle via RS485?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 02:30 by joshwuh.

More
14 Apr 2021 08:14 #205862 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
you could just go with a bought pendant, usb, plug it in and set it up...

I use an xhc-hb04 wired (older now, 4 axis Chinese pendant, usb wired (I hate wireless, each to their own))

I also have a contour shuttle and the shuttle pro too in a box.... both are also supported out of the box, plug in configure and use.

I have set up my xhc-hb04 for mill, router, lathe and plasma shared from 1 pc using different profiles.

More
14 Apr 2021 13:54 #205892 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
Thanks, but I'm trying to come up with my own solution.

More
14 Apr 2021 22:35 - 14 Apr 2021 22:46 #205943 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant

If I use RS485 to control my spindle (via USB to RS485 on the PC), will I still be able to change the spindle speed and control the spindle from the 7I73 pendant? Basically, can the 7I73 also push commands back to LinuxCNC to then be written to the spindle via RS485?

Yes, once the signals are in HAL you can send them anywhere to do anything (well, almost anything)

With regards to the 4x20 display, I think that you would probably have to customise the 7i73 firmware to use anything different.
Typically the LCD component sends one ASCII character to the 7i73 every 1mS, and the 7i73 sends that data pretty-much as-received out of the LCD interface pins in parallel nibble mode. So if you have something that can read parallel-nibble you could send it data readily.
Alternatively, perhaps you would prefer to use something like an STM32 "blue pill" board, and a modified version of the STMBL firmware to create your own Mesa smart-serial board.
What sord of display did you have in mind?
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 22:46 by andypugh.

More
14 Apr 2021 23:23 #205949 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i76e + Pendant
The 7I73s default EEPROM settings are for 4x20 displays but the number of rows and columns are settable.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds