Problem with moving form 8.04 to 10.04 etc

More
17 Sep 2010 09:27 - 17 Sep 2010 10:46 #4227 by grey1beard
Having been off the m/c for some months, I return to find that "EMC2 is supported by 10.04" etc.

Saved my config file onto a pendrive, then after many trials finally got 10.04 to run on the workshop system.

Installed EMC2 ver 2.4.3, and imported my config file first onto the desktop, then into the config folder in the emc folder.

Opened the stepconfig wizard to see if the settings were as I remembered them(memory, what memory ? :( ), and tried "Test this axis".
Nothing on any axis, and no sound of the motors being energised.

I tried running EMC2 from the application menu/config selector and got a quick view of the Axis screen before a had a screen "EMC2 errors".
"Please include all the information below in your message" but I've no idea how to copy that over into this post. There's a select all button, but no copy, so if someone can tell me how to do that first, I'll edit this post and include it.
Many thanks
John
EDIT Just in case there was something wrong with my saved settings, I've tried creating a new config file, but the results are the same.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 10:46 by grey1beard. Reason: updated info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2010 16:02 #4234 by Andy123
I feel that you are on the same boat with many other old users:

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...d,4082/lang,english/

More
17 Sep 2010 16:18 - 17 Sep 2010 16:21 #4235 by grey1beard

File Attachment:

File Name: config_error.txt
File Size:3 KB
Andy123 wrote:

I feel that you are on the same boat with many other old users:

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...d,4082/lang,english/

Hi Andy,
Yes, been there - read that - understood very little, still being wet behind the ears ;)

Just been reading through "Ubuntu Pocket Guide & reference" by Keir Thomas, and at least I've found out how to copy/paste without a copy button !
So this is the error file.

ooops, no it isn't. I'll try again
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 16:21 by grey1beard.

More
18 Sep 2010 07:01 #4240 by grey1beard
This may be a more general problem.
I've just tried opening the sample config for sherline 3axis, and I get exactly the same error window, and simillar file.
Do I have to go back to an earlier version of emc2, as this one is not going anywhere at the moment ?
:(

More
18 Sep 2010 10:18 #4241 by micges
try setting [EMC]DEBUG =0x7FFFFFFF and again paste whole terminal output

More
18 Sep 2010 10:26 #4242 by grey1beard
Sorry, micges, I've removed everything and am currently downloading the 10.04/emc iso for a combined install.
I'm hoping this might give me a better experience than installing them separately ;)

I'll post here again when I have the result, probably this pm.
John

More
18 Sep 2010 17:26 #4244 by grey1beard
No, everything is just as bad with this release, so I've given up, and am now in the process of updating my original 8.04/emc2 download.
It went in perfectly, and so far has not shown any hiccups.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds