RUN FROM HERE

More
04 May 2021 00:02 #207772 by dpedreira
RUN FROM HERE was created by dpedreira
Not sure if im in the correct category but, someone please help me! I am 17hr 45min into an 18+ hour carve and the power went out. I am running LinuxCNC 2.8
After I home it, do I have to start from the beginning or can I scroll the g-code and "run from here" I have not tried it! Please, someone with experience in this matter please advise me.

Thank you!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2021 00:50 #207774 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic RUN FROM HERE
Yes you can run from a spot on the g code. I am assuming you are using Axis gui. At the bottom is the g code file. Scroll to the spot you want to start and right click, run from line.

Now the hard part is where to start. You may need to reindex the part which can be challenging if you already removed a ton of material. (Shouldn't need to if your homing system is accurate).

You may also need to indicate the tool number and start the spindle in mdi. Find a spot that has a high z move followed by a linear move (G0 or G1), followed by a z down move. This is generally a safe spot for a mill. Avoid arc moves etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dpedreira

More
04 May 2021 03:50 #207787 by dpedreira
Replied by dpedreira on topic RUN FROM HERE
I did as was recommended. However, the spindle failed to engage and the bit dug into the project, gauged across the project and snapped. Broken bit, ruined project! Bottom line: Just air on the side of caution and start from the beginning. Home the machine, X,Y origin is the same and Z is the same. Just load the file and hit start after it is homed....forget about "Run from here".

Thank you

More
04 May 2021 08:54 #207803 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic RUN FROM HERE

You may also need to indicate the tool number and start the spindle in mdi. Find a spot that has a high z move followed by a linear move (G0 or G1), followed by a z down move. This is generally a safe spot for a mill. Avoid arc moves etc.

More
05 May 2021 05:07 #207929 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic RUN FROM HERE
Probably a bit late to add but whenever you do anything you are not sure of or are running a new unproven program you should have rapid override and feed override set to 1% (or as low as possible). If you have analog nobs for these it works great as you can feather the machine to move slowly and confirm movement when you initiate the program.

Sorry your part was ruined but hopefully it becomes a learning experience. Long programs will always have potential for issues and developing a system for starting mid program will be necessary. Tools break, power goes out, etc.

More
05 May 2021 12:09 #207958 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic RUN FROM HERE
When I "run" into this, I rais the Z and "Run From Here" in air before I cut. You would have seen the spindle not running. A bit late but we all learn from mistakes. and I make alot of them....

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds