EtherCAT with MESA Input Cards Question

More
22 Jun 2021 05:40 #212639 by ChapEng
G'day Team,

Keep with me here as I try to unload the contents of my convoluted mind.

I bought a bunch of EtherCAT closed loop steppers with the intent of running them on a Mach4 system. The cost of the Mach4 EtherCAT software build was about $2k aussie (in addition to the computer), I looked at all of the shiny machine tools and things I could buy for that 2k and my faith was shook. Like an act of god, MetalMusings on YouTube released a raspberry Pi / EtherCAT / LinuxCNC video about two weeks ago, and I was off.

I've taken the last few weeks watching TheFeralEngineer's videos to understand the platform a bit more, really liking the look of ProbeBasic, working out which touch screens will work with LinuxCNC and psyching myself up that modern Linux builds have to be better than what I was made to use in university 15 years ago.

I think I'm pretty sorted here, for the most part; however, I am struggling to find appropriate componentry to get encoder inputs back into the computer. Basically, now that I'm going to switch to a control that can operate in a closed loop mode (with linear encoders), I feel it would be a waste not to captialise on that. This has lead me to realise encoder inputs for EtherCAT are incredibly hamstrung and you essentially have to buy an additional module for each encoder you want to run which come at exorbitant cost, especially compared to something like a PoKeys57E which can take 20 something encoders (if you want) on a $50 board.

So this whole thing has got me thinking, is there a way to run LinuxCNC over EtherCAT as well as using a Mesa PCI board for encoder inputs direct to the PC?

Alternately, does anyone know of a EtherCAT I/O device that has a bunch of encoder inputs in it as well, rather than having 32x I, 32x O and only a single encoder channel.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can throw my way. If push comes to shove I'll run it as an open loop system like I would have with Mach4, but you know, scope creep....

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2021 07:32 #212649 by db1981
Hello,

using ethercat and mesa in parallel is no problem.
There exists much ethercat hardware outside there..

I'm working with Beckhoff Components Example:

El5102, EL5112, EL5101 Encoder Cards ~150-300€
EM7004 Interface(4x Encoder, 16 In, 16 Out, 4x +-10V DAC) ~450€
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfänger

More
23 Jun 2021 05:48 #212720 by ChapEng
Thanks for that, looks like I need to get a MESA Card now.

I'm looking to use 7 encoder channels (3 for a this old tony style MPG) and 4 for my axes (twin X) to provide closed loop. Each of those EtherCAT encoder modules only does one encoder and costs more than a MESA I/O board does, so I figured that getting an IO Board is the most cost effective way to do this.

I am surprised there isn't (yet) a low cost module that can take a whole bunch of encoders.

Thanks again!

More
23 Jun 2021 15:45 #212754 by andypugh

So this whole thing has got me thinking, is there a way to run LinuxCNC over EtherCAT as well as using a Mesa PCI board for encoder inputs direct to the PC?

There is no problem running several PCI Mesa cards, an ethernet Mesa card (probably) and an SPI card along with a mesa card and Pico card on the parallel ports. ie you can hook together any combination of supported hardware that you want.

If you are using a Pi then, obviously, PCI isn't going to work. But you could look at the Mesa 7c81 as an encoder interface.

This might be an answer: www.crowdsupply.com/harmonic-bionics/ease

Depending on whether the Arduino can count quadrature fast enough (you would need to use interrupt handlers, I think software would be too slow. Google afore ye buy, I say.

More
24 Jun 2021 04:47 #212783 by ChapEng
Cheer for the further clarification and the suggestion with the ease board.

I've seen a few of those boards before (well that style, hats for RaspberryPi and similar for Arduino). It is something else I should consider. But again, when we look at the price, I might as well get a Mesa card and throw a whole bunch of stuff in directly to the PC.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds