Kernel upgrade

More
11 Aug 2021 21:01 - 11 Aug 2021 21:10 #217572 by RoberCNC
Kernel upgrade was created by RoberCNC
Hi all. 
I actually have Linux Mint Mate 4.9.0.13-rt-amd64 Debian 4.9.228-1
I would need to install a PCI Wi-Fi and all the ones I have looked at ask for kernel 5.1 or higher.  From what I'm reading I know that up to 5.10 is available right now and I have a slight idea of ​​what the upgrade would be like but since I have doubts and I don't want to break anything, I prefer to ask for your help.  I would appreciate if someone could tell me about the steps to follow as well as the commands to update the Linuxcnc kernel safely.

I take the opportunity to say that I have in mind a Ubit-AX200 802.11AX WiFi 6 (Intel AX200 chip) Does anyone know if it goes well or gives problems in Mint Mate 20?  They also have another model with a Gigabyte chip.

Thanks, Rober.

(Sorry it might be in the installatation thread)
Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 21:10 by RoberCNC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2021 09:54 - 12 Aug 2021 09:59 #217594 by RoberCNC
Replied by RoberCNC on topic Kernel upgrade
It would be like this?

wget ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/lin..._5.10.46-4_amd64.deb

sudo gdebi linux-image-5.10.0-8-rt-amd64-dbg_5.10.46-4_amd64.deb

sudo apt-get update

Last edit: 12 Aug 2021 09:59 by RoberCNC.

More
12 Aug 2021 11:26 #217600 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Kernel upgrade
Yes, that is the way to do it, but might need a file with no "dbg" in the file name.
You can safely try it as is, gdebi is very good at folloving dependencies.
On the other side, if i remember correctly, kernel 5.6RT would complain that it can brake support for something or another, so if you get that warning pay attention to it and decide if you can do without whater will be missing, and if you choose not to continue everything will be set back as it was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoberCNC

More
12 Aug 2021 11:51 #217603 by RoberCNC
Thanks tom.
Are you talking about 5.6RT? In the index it goes from 4.9 to 5.10 and in RT that I understand what I need for the machine I only see two, one with the dbg and another marked as unsigned, which seems to be only about 50M.
Maybe I am getting too complicated by entering things that I do not know completely when really all I need is a PCI Wi-Fi that goes well with what I have.
Would you be so kind as to tell me one?

More
12 Aug 2021 13:18 #217611 by tommylight
Attachments:

More
12 Aug 2021 13:59 #217614 by RoberCNC
The problem is that I currently have a USB wifi that is more intermittent than stable, not the wifi itself, hence I want to buy a PCI adapter.

More
12 Aug 2021 15:45 #217620 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Kernel upgrade
Not sure what the situation is now, but 15 years ago i had issues with D-Link PCI WiFi. 3COM worked perfectly.
Nowdays if using TP-Link or Tenda, they have no quality control at all, so some work perfectly, some intermitently droping the link and some just do not work at all.
So far had all of them, the irony is i have a TP-Link that got hit by lightning and still works, sans the WAN port.

More
12 Aug 2021 15:58 #217623 by RoberCNC
What you say about the Tp-link I have read to you in other posts, the thing is that the USB Wi-Fi is limited due to the 5v and that makes it irregular and intermittent, that's why I wanted a PCI, which is why I am reading it is a bit of trial and error and crossing my fingers so that they work putting and go.
I had decided on the Ubit model mentioned in the first post, I have consulted them and the answer has been "you will have to compile your kernel, if it is not handled in Linux (in my case) do not buy it" which leaves me a bit in a position to risk buying one and see what happens. What is clear is that since it does not work simply by plugging it in, I will need help.

More
13 Aug 2021 08:28 #217668 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Kernel upgrade
You can get the 5.1 kernel using Debian Bullseye as discussed in this thread.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-rip-install?start=0
The thread has been renamed so there is a bit of a preamble but I think we covered it. Bullseye was scheduled for official release tomorrow 14 August

More
13 Aug 2021 14:13 #217681 by RoberCNC
Thank you very much for the info Rod. At the moment it seems that I have the kernel 5.10 without having destroyed anything, I will wait to have the PCI next week and I will try, let's cross our fingers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds