Add Quill Encoder

More
24 Aug 2021 10:59 #218613 by AndyB
Add Quill Encoder was created by AndyB
Hi,
looking to build another 3 axis mill with Linuxcnc (previous was with centroid) using a mesa 7i76e card and closed loop steppers.
one thing i would like to do is add a linear scale to the quill and sum it's position to the Z axis.
I have tried doing a build in the pncconf wizard but cannot find anything apparent to do this.

has anybody got info on how i could modify the ini/hal after basic setup to do this

thanks in advance
AndyB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2021 11:50 #218699 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Add Quill Encoder

add a linear scale to the quill and sum it's position to the Z axis.

So, would you be wanting a system where moving the quill down moves the table down to retain the same Z distance? That would be easy to do by summing the feedbacks in HAL. However I suspect that would not be a useful behaviour. 

So, it seems that what you would want would be for the quill to move down (by hand?) and the table to remain stationary, with the onscreen Z value decreasing? 

I think that one way to do this would be with "external offsets" where the quill applies an offset of exactly the right magnitude to have no actual effect on the table position. 

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/external-offsets.html

The following user(s) said Thank You: AndyB

More
25 Aug 2021 12:01 #218701 by AndyB
Replied by AndyB on topic Add Quill Encoder
"I think that one way to do this would be with "external offsets" where the quill applies an offset of exactly the right magnitude to have no actual effect on the table position.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/external-offsets.html"

Cheers Andy exactly what i was looking for

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds