Use touch off plate as home switch

More
23 Oct 2021 18:50 #224014 by aaron
Hi
I am trying to set up a new router to use a touch off place as a z home switch (I already have a machine that does this but I cannot replicate the settings).
I want the machine so that when I click 'home all' the router goes to y0,x0 and then z0.  At the moment I can only home z by touching the plate twice with the crocodile clip.  If I attach the clip to the tool the router moves away from home position and does not respond when the plate is touched with the crocodile clip.
Please can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this
Thanks
Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2021 19:13 #224020 by bevins

Hi
I am trying to set up a new router to use a touch off place as a z home switch (I already have a machine that does this but I cannot replicate the settings).
I want the machine so that when I click 'home all' the router goes to y0,x0 and then z0.  At the moment I can only home z by touching the plate twice with the crocodile clip.  If I attach the clip to the tool the router moves away from home position and does not respond when the plate is touched with the crocodile clip.
Please can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this
Thanks
Aaron

What kind of plate are you using? show a cou[le of pics how your setup. It almost sounds like your router bit is not isolated.

Check continuity from your router bit to ground. For this to work, it cannot have continuity.

More
24 Oct 2021 09:44 #224078 by aaron
Thankyou for your quick response.
I am using one of these; www.amazon.co.uk/Zerodis-Setting-Engravi...id=1635067304&sr=8-4

I have one wire connected to ground on the breakout board and the other to the z pin on the breakout board. 

I am not at the machine today and also my eletricical abilities are limited sadly. 

When you say the router bit its not isolated from ground do you mean I have a circuit from router bit to ground on the break out board? {I know how to test this with a meter} If that is the case, can you tell me how fix it? 
Thanks again
Aaron 

More
26 Oct 2021 11:47 #224378 by aaron
So. I have  continuity between ground and the tool. If I unplug the usb and parport cable I loose this continuity.  The man who sold me the breakout board said this continuity was needed to make the probe work.  I am a little confused here. Help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Aaron

More
26 Oct 2021 12:48 #224390 by bevins

So. I have  continuity between ground and the tool. If I unplug the usb and parport cable I loose this continuity.  The man who sold me the breakout board said this continuity was needed to make the probe work.  I am a little confused here. Help would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Aaron

If your bit is grounded then you don't need to attach the alligator clip to the bit. It already has a ground. as long as whatever you are triggering needs a ground you should be good. If your board can only trigger +, then energize a relay and pass +vdc through contacts of the relay to trigger the input. Hope I was clear.

More
26 Oct 2021 18:09 #224408 by aaron
Bevins. Thanks for your answer. It sounds positive, but my limited electronic abilities are sorely taxed by your instructions.  Is there any chance you could point me to a diagram or a step by step walk through.
Thanks again.

More
05 Nov 2021 17:01 #225412 by andypugh
Where does the black wire from the widget connect to?

It probably needs to connect to an input pin, then it can be pulled-down when the too touches the plate.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds