How to install VNC on LinuxCNC 2.9 with QTplasmac?

More
05 May 2022 20:44 #242065 by LinfieldGarage
Hello all,
I have a working system running Linuxcnc 2.9 and QTplasmac, and I want to run VNC or one of the variants so I can remote into the machine.

I have gone through the procedures to install VNC, but cannot figure out how to configure the 
.vnc/xstartup
file to call the right desktop environment.  I can get connected to the VNC server, but a desktop never loads so I must be doing something wrong.

Does anyone have this working who can share some tips?
Thanks,
Jamie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2022 21:07 #242069 by rodw
You might need to log out of your lcnc box before remoting in.

Ages ago, I installed XRDP and used Windows Remote Desktop on both a Pi and 686.

Other than that I can't help

More
06 May 2022 11:48 - 06 May 2022 11:49 #242123 by andypugh
Depending on the situation, you might look at using ssh.

I will quite often ssh into my controllers in the workshop from the house.

On my Mac:
ssh -Y This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
connects me to my lathe, for example.

What I very often do is then use the remote command-line to open a halmeter on the local machine to monitor the status of a long job:

halcmd loadusr halmeter -s pin motion.program-line

It is possible to load the LinuxCNC GUI on the local machine. (just open an ssh session and run the command "linuxcnc"). However on my Mac this only works for the GUIs which do not use OpenGL (which basically means "Touchy"). I don't know what works Linux to Linux.

But, if the local and remote(linuxcnc) machines are both running Linux or MacOS it's very easy to try it out, and you shouldn't need to install anythign that isn't there by default.
Last edit: 06 May 2022 11:49 by andypugh.

More
09 May 2022 16:28 #242392 by LinfieldGarage
Hey Andy, that's good advice. I'm comfortable with *nix sysadmin functions, and I do use a Mac laptop for my day job. I'm just puzzled at what's going on with VNC server.

My goal is to see the QTPlasmac interface remotely and experiment with new buttons, and more advanced features like laser crosshairs, air scribe, and other fun nerdy stuff....

I'll post a writeup when I figure out VNC or some other graphical remote control solution.

Thanks again,
Jamie

More
09 May 2022 23:25 #242425 by LinfieldGarage
@rodw, you were right again! Logging out of the local terminal allowed me to remote into my Linux server without trouble.

I decided to use XRDP instead of VNC this time. The install is easier and there are no config files to deal with. Here is the article that I followed: linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-xrdp-on-debian-10/

Cheers!
Jamie
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
10 May 2022 05:28 #242463 by rodw
Good you made progress. The other cool trick I use is to set up Samba to give access to my home folder on linuxcnc.
From my Windows Machine I can run Sheetcam and post process files straight into the nc_file folder in air conditioned comfort.
Then I set up a load latest button in QTP (Which Phill kindly added at my request).
So my workflow now is to run sheetcam, walk to the machine and press load latest and I'm ready to go!

See the docs on how to implement the load latest feature.

More
10 May 2022 10:50 #242478 by LinfieldGarage
That fits my workflow exactly. This machine will replace a smaller plasma running Mach4, so Samba will be very useful. I saw the “load latest” button in your YouTube video. That’s a cool idea.

More
10 May 2022 20:56 #242525 by rodw
With SAMBA, I can't remember exactly what, but  in Windows there was a setting that needed to be enabled to allow Windows to talk to the linux  drive. Good luck. I tried for years to do this, Now I've forgotten how...

More
11 May 2022 12:44 #242628 by LinfieldGarage
Hehe, thanks. I'll let you know how that goes. I got my laser crosshairs and offsets working, next up is the THCAD-5 Ohmic sensing, then some fine tuning before this machine runs well enough to use.

More
11 May 2022 20:35 #242672 by rodw
You might find this useful. It contains my latest config for THCAD-5 ohmic sensing
I just load the supplied hal file from my in file. It will need editing to suit your config.
You need to select the ohmic-on pin as your ohmic probe pin when congiguring qtplasmac.

to build the component
sudo halcompile --install  ohmic3.comp

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds