Lathe Multi tool post

More
16 May 2022 16:24 #243088 by rajsekhar
Dear Friends,

I am planning to convert one conventional lathe to CNC with LinuxCNC controller.

Now, an idea that came to me if I could use two tool post working simultaneously on one job say one tool engaged in facing another enaged in boring inner dia.. this is a production trick if Linuxcnc can support.. refer the attached sketch.

But two tool post should have individual control command and feed rate instruction mechanism, with a common spindle.

Is such an arrangement possible??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2022 17:55 #243092 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic Lathe Multi tool post
it's just 2 tools, each with a different offset......

why would it not work?

similar to using gang tooling or a front and rear toolpost

www.google.com/search?q=lathe+gang+tooli...imgrc=ZgGPmr2d5SewIM

www.google.com/search?q=lathe+front+rear...imgrc=FrLDlFK-vH465M

More
17 May 2022 02:30 #243123 by rajsekhar
Replied by rajsekhar on topic Lathe Multi tool post
In gang tooling, only one tool works at a time. but I want two tool working simultaneously.
The two axis for one toolpost should be independent of other two axis of 2nd tool post.
As gcode program is executed line by line, if two post is programmed in a line, both tool will maintain one feed. but I want indepentdent gcode control for two tool post.

More
17 May 2022 13:32 #243157 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Lathe Multi tool post
There are a few tricky points you'll have to work out. First will be the mechanics of how are you going to prevent the axis for one head needing to be in the same place as the axis for the other.

The next tricky part will be generating the g-code to make the synchronized moves of your 4 axis. That will probably require a specialized (read that as expensive) CAM software.

But there is no way for Linuxcnc to process two separate g-code files simultaneously.

Although I've thought that maybe it could be possible to set up two separate Linuxcnc installations (two PCs) but tie them together using a couple of digital inputs and outputs that could be used for synchronizing commands, and also have one or both systems be aware of the other's positions, to monitor for and prevent collisions. But as far as I know, no one has ever tried it. This would be the only way to process separate G-code files simultaneously.

More
17 May 2022 23:43 #243221 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lathe Multi tool post
Being able to run two LinuxCNCs with a shared HAL area would be super-useful. I don't know how hard it would be.

In the meantime the only way to do this it to use XZ for one tool and UW for the other. The configuration is pretty easy.

The difficulty comes in generating the combined G-code. I think that would be a job for some sort of script, rather than a job to do by hand.

I think that it would need to take two G-code files and timestamp when each XZ and UV move starts and ends. The interleave them. This is because only one G-code line exacutes at a time. So if you wanted to run Z from 0 to 100 and then half way through run W from 200 to 100 at the same rate, the G-code would need to look like:

G1 Z50
G1 Z100 W150
G1 W100

If the two G-code files were generated in inverse time (G93 mode) this probably isn't _particularly_ hard.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds