Geared encoder

More
06 Aug 2022 21:04 #249226 by aaronhance
Geared encoder was created by aaronhance
Hi I'm converting my old lathe to CNC, now I've attached an encoder where some of the change gears used to be, but it is geared 1:2 from the spindle, so the index will pulse twice per revolution, will this cause issues or is it ok?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2022 21:15 #249228 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Geared encoder
That will not work because threading will start at either 0 degrees or 180 degrees (randomly)

You either need to mask the encoder index with a once per turn signal
or use a different index source (say a proximity detector)
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaronhance

More
07 Aug 2022 03:33 #249247 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic Geared encoder
Is there a reason that this cannot be done in software, using a component that takes the number of counts per turn as a parameter and outputs an index signal every time that number of counts has been reached?

Say a 4000 count encoder and a 2x gearing, the component would output an index pulse every 8000 counts, ignoring the index from the encoder. With 1.25x gearing every 5000 counts, etcetera.

Absolute spindle position would be lost at power off, but... is that a problem? Am I missing something?

(If it is a problem, I think absolute spindle position could theoretically be synced e.g. during homing, but now it's getting complicated...)

More
07 Aug 2022 05:25 #249250 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Geared encoder
What about using every second index pulse?

More
07 Aug 2022 07:05 #249255 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Geared encoder
Can we do counters in hal?
Using every second index pulse should work, granted the gear ratio is exactly 1:2.
Flip/flop? Set/reset? Those are in LinuxCNC.

More
07 Aug 2022 07:42 #249257 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic Geared encoder
I don't think just removing every other index pulse is enough; HAL encoders have pins like encoder.N.position for example, that would have to be modified as well. At least that's what I get from a quick look at the motion and encoder man pages. Perhaps this feature would be best implemented in the encoder component itself.

Mostly I was curious if this is something that could be done at all, or if there's some mechanical aspect that I'm overlooking.

More
07 Aug 2022 07:54 #249258 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic Geared encoder
Standard incremental encoder?

Just double the scale?

More
07 Aug 2022 19:25 #249301 by aaronhance
Replied by aaronhance on topic Geared encoder
I'm using an OMRON E6B2-CWZ6C 1000P/R, I suppose I can print a new gear to get 1:1 with the spindle, if it can't be done in software.

More
17 Aug 2022 23:40 #249979 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Geared encoder
The index pulse doesn't _have_ to come from the encoder. You can feed a pulse from some other source into the counter (whether that is parport or something else)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds