Front angle vs back angle

More
12 Aug 2022 04:55 - 12 Aug 2022 04:56 #249574 by vmihalca
Hi guys, 
For about a year, in my free time, I'm working on a custom linuxcnc based controller for my Weiler E30 teach in lathe. 
The reason for doing something from scratch was the need to have all the functionality that the old siemens controller had, plus the need to learn compose UI framework that I needed for my day by day job (android developer).
And because I didn't wanted to do that by writing useless hello world apps, taking advantage that kotlin is multiplatform, I am writing my own app, having in mind the capabilities of my machine. 

My lathe has a front tool post, with a multifix toolpost. And since only 16 tool holders and way more lathe tools, I decided to make the software aware of that. Therefore you can have a list of tools, and you can associate a specific tool with a specific holder. Only at that time a tool has offsets and its ready to be used. Also the lathe tools can have inserts, and those inserts have feeds and speeds for the materials they were designed to cut.Therefore I included all this info in my custom tool library so that I can use it further when I will start to implement the conversational logic, to suggest cutting parameters between a min-max range.
As you can see in the screenshots below, I am rendering the toolpath along with the insert of the current tool. The angle of the yellow insert will be taken from the tool library, but I also need to set the back angle and the front angle so that the visual orientation of the insert is correct. My initial understanding was that I would have something like FrontAngle+InsertAngle+BackAngle = 180deg
Upon reading some more, I think I don't understand properly the notions of FrontAngle and Back angle...
So if someone can explain, I would be grateful.

Thanks, 
Vasi
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Aug 2022 04:56 by vmihalca.
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2022 22:03 #250043 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Front angle vs back angle
I think that both frontangle and backangle are measured relative to the Z axis.
And the insert angle will be the difference between them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds